I hate pools

Jul 1, 2015
Cartersville, GA
:D

New here and am hoping to learn enough to make me hate pools just a little less. Based on all the recommendations my first step was to order a TF100 XL with a Speedstir, this was completed today. With this kit I should be able to know a little more about our water as compared to the $9 test kit from the LPSS.

For some background, when I was 12, 1984, we had a family meeting. The choice was motorcycles / 3wheelers or a pool. Us three kids voted motorcycles, mom voted pool, we got a pool. As the oldest I got the opportunity to take care of a 20x40 gunite pool for the next 6 years, it was miserable. Not automatic cleaner, daily skims, twice week'y brushes, I hated it.

Fast forward to 2003. A family of my own and the wife and 4 kids talk me into a pool. Figured if we got an above ground pool (something I could dispose of) and an automatic cleaner (Tiger Shark) how bad could it be? Well the hatred was still there. One thing I hate is the cost of all the chemicals, every year, every month. Every time you go to the LPSS it is $40 to $400. So now I am looking for a better way, which brought me here.

There seems to be lots of reading to do and I know I need to put my equipment in my sig.

Look forward to my test kit and getting started on just a better way to care for the pool.

It's a shame you got voted down on the motorcycle when you were younger. Hopefully you've delved into that also by now. :) Welcome to TFP. Looks like you are already on the correct path. Once you get everything lined out the costs are minimal. There is no free lunch, so it will still cost something to have the pool, but not nearly the amount you are used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you learn that Leslies Pool Store is in the business of selling you stuff, you'll recognize that you probably didn't need half of it. Return anything unopened if you can.
Then start reading Pool School up at the top right while waiting on your test kit to come. Hopefully the holiday weekend won't delay it too much?
Take some tests on your tap water, for a baseline. If your water is like mine, its very soft. For a vinyl pool such as yours you don't have to worry much about calcium.

Tell us how your water looks, and what the test results are, and we'll help you out with any questions you might have. A pic of your pool is always appreciated :)

Welcome! Reading your story brought back some memories of being outvoted on things as a child so let's hope your time here can help change some things for the better. Now that you're the dad, maybe you can put the kids to helping with pool chores, if old enough, and you can learn to love your pool. :grin:

Welcome to TFP!

Every time you go to the LPSS it is $40 to $400
Congrats to you for getting out in front of things and ordering a good test kit from the start. This will put you way ahead of others who can't/don't/won't spend around $70 on a good test kit but will merrily spend hundreds of $ for needless chemicals every time they visit a pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support