Can I Drain 2" each day and refill?

Jul 1, 2015
Memphis, TN
I am new to this method and have read extensively the instructions. I do not have my drop test kit yet - should arrive on Monday!

I currently have 6-way test strips and the CYA reading is 100. So, assuming that is a correct reading once I get the proper test kit, will I have to do a partial drain?

The pool is only 1 year old and is vinyl lined. 33,000 gallons, 20 x 44. I have had no problems keeping the pool sparkly using the inline chlorinator but now am concerned about the CYA levels and think switching to this method is better because of the increase in CYA using the 3" chlorine tablets. (As an aside - why can't they make chlorine tablets without stabilizer?!)

I'm worried about draining the pool by half or so. My question is this: Can I drain off 2" of water a day and refill with 2" from the hose? That way I won't be putting the liner at risk. We are on a well so water cost is not an issue.

Thanks for any help and advice.

The pool doesn't care where the FC comes from, pucks, powders, bleach, or generated onsite in the SWG. As long as there is enough for your CYA level, it's not going to go green.

My advice is to do your drain and add the day's bleach into the hose stream when you refill. Just keep FC above minimum for your CYA level and there won't be any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.