Pump Losing Prime

Depends on how the system is plumbed. Some skimmers are plumbed such that they share a line to the pad with the main drain so it is difficult to operate just the main drain in isolation.

However, if the there are individual pool to pad lines with valves at the pad which allow for shutting off the skimmer and isolating just the main drain, then it should be possible.

Thanks Mark. I feel dumb now because I never thought to turn my valve. My builder gave me that ability and now my pump works fine when the skimmers are turned to the off position. I do notice a few bubbles in the strainer basket when I shut the skimmers to the off position but I assume this isn't a problem.

When you shut off the skimmers, the suction will go up in the plumbing and pump suction side. Sometimes this will draw in air from the valves and/or pump lid. Usually, it is not a problem unless it gets to be so much air that you lose prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.