Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Losing Prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Losing Prime

Is it common for pumps to lose prime when the water level drops below the skimmer and only the main drain is being used?
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Losing Prime

Depends on how the system is plumbed. Some skimmers are plumbed such that they share a line to the pad with the main drain so it is difficult to operate just the main drain in isolation.

However, if the there are individual pool to pad lines with valves at the pad which allow for shutting off the skimmer and isolating just the main drain, then it should be possible.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Mark. I feel dumb now because I never thought to turn my valve. My builder gave me that ability and now my pump works fine when the skimmers are turned to the off position. I do notice a few bubbles in the strainer basket when I shut the skimmers to the off position but I assume this isn't a problem.
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

4. Back To Top    #4

When you shut off the skimmers, the suction will go up in the plumbing and pump suction side. Sometimes this will draw in air from the valves and/or pump lid. Usually, it is not a problem unless it gets to be so much air that you lose prime.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner