Reagent Storage???

Jun 6, 2007
Alabama
I have heard this discussed and a lot of different ideas on how to handle the storage of test kits to get maximum lifespan and the most accurate results from testing. The question I want to ask is what is actually best, room-temp or refrig? Currently, I store my kit in the refrigerator out at the poolhouse.

Buggsw said:
I don't refrigerate mine. The manufacturer doesn't store it refrigerated, nor do the stores that sell it.

I don't necessarily want to refrigerate the kit its just that I have 3 choices. 1.Refrigerate in the pool house (out by the pool) where it is easy to get to and remains a constant temp, 2. Let it sit out in the pool house that is only air conditioned on weekends when we are swimming and gets up to 90-100 degrees during the week, 3. Go in and out of the air conditioned house with it every evening when I test.
I am just contemplating out loud and figured I would throw this out there for some group discussion.

Keep your kit under the kitchen sink, along with a squirt bottle. Then it is in a temperature and humidity controlled environment,
Take the squirt bottle out to the pool and fill'er up.
Return to the comfort of your kitchen to do your testing!

Yup, that's what I do. I have all my reagents in an old clam-style lunch box that I keep in my office inside. I grab the wash bottle when I want to test (there's a difference here between having to test and wanting to test) , take my sample from the pool, but do all my tests inside. I use a dollar-store mixing bowl to dispose of the samples and when I'm done I empty it in the kitchen sink.

When I'm on the road visiting clients the lunch box follows me everywhere ie I don't ever leave it in the hot car.

What I did previously was test the water in the shed where I was keeping the chemicals and the big pail of cal hypo. Doh! Not good. All the screws in the shed rusted and so did my R-0002, turning a lovely shade of red/pink. Do not try this at home!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.