Chlorine level is still at 0

Jul 1, 2015
manhattan/Kansas
New Pool owner here. Have a AGP 24' 52" round. Our Local pool store said to put 2 pucks in the skimmer. We are using [h=4]HTH™ 3" Chlorinating Puck. We have a sand filter. Tested the water and the FC level is at 0 and hasn't gone up.

Thanks
[/h]

Welcome....I'm new here myself, but i can tell you, listen to the kind people here and follow their advice. If you want to see what I started with just 4 short days ago and where I'm at now, following the advice here, check out my progress: New pool owner - SWG

But the basics are:

1) Stop listening to pool store employees

2) Learn how to properly treat your pool with simple, inexpensive, household chemicals (IE stop using pucks). For chlorine, use simple household liquid bleach

3) Get a proper test kit and don't rely on pool store testing that's wildly inaccurate.

4) Use the PoolMath tool to know exactly what chemicals you need to add instead of guessing

I'm sure the more seasoned pros will chime in, but that's what I've gleaned in the four short days I've been on this forum.

CYA and FC are all you need to be concerned with right now. As long as your pH is in the 7's you are fine, and you can worry about TA later. FC is what will keep the algae at bay, and how much you need all depends upon your CYA level. Just focus on that for now. And to know those two things, you need one of the recommended test kits.

How long have you been using pucks? They'll drive your CYA up and cause you to need more chlorine. If you haven't been using them long you can dump in a couple bottles of plain bleach to get your FC level up and keep the pool from turning green. Then add a half bottle a day until you can get a good test kit and go through pool school to learn what you need to do. If you've been using pucks for a while you could get the HTH 6way test kit to check your CYA level, then use pool math to go from there. Anyway you go you need to get some chlorine into the pool or it'll turn green fast, and that's harder to fix than staying on top of it from the beginning.

You've come to the right place, there is lots of info on this site for the private pool owner, and lots of friendly people willing to help.

Yes, you've come to the right place.

However, we do not trust test strips for any of those readings which is why I asked you you were testing. You have gotten some good advise already. You can use pool math to determine how much CYA those pucks have added to the pool. If it was a fresh fill then you'll want to chlorinate with bleach once you've reached the desired CYA.

Start by reading ABCs of pool water chemistry. There is a link to Pool School at the top of this page.

I use the HTH test strips. I am eventually going to go get the drops kind. After checking the water today, I am more concerned with the TA level which is 120 and the PH level is 7.2.

PH is fine at 7.2 and TA is ok at 120 unless it drives your PH above 7.8 more than you like. Add acid when it gets to 7.8 to lower it to 7.2 and that will gradually lower you TA.

The problem is that you think your TA is 120 and your PH is 7.2 because that test strip says so. But, it is likely wrong. It is much more likely wrong than right. Adjusting a wrong number to a different wrong number is not the best way to manage your pool. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Thanks everybody for the help and advice! The pool is freshly filled it's been full since last Sunday. The water is still clear and looks good , im going to go get a better test kit tomorrow. Had a friend of mine come out this evening and check it with his kit and show me how to use it. The levels were FC 0 PH 7.2 TA 120 CYA 30. I'm going to go buy some bleach tomorrow and add some to the pool. I put the pucks in I believe Monday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.