Changing Sand in Filter-Pentair Triton II 140,100

CHSRpool

In The Industry
Jul 1, 2015
Fairbanks, AK
Hello All,

I am getting ready to change out the sand in a couple commercial sand filters ( Pentair Triton II 140, 100) and am looking for a bit more info. One filter calls for 650LB sand 275 pea gravel, the other 450LB sand 150 pea gravel. I have talked to a few people and they said just fill them with new Pool filter sand 20 silica. I am a bit confused and need to be sure I get the right amount of sand and other media due to little time for maintenance.:confused:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why are you changing the sand? Are you required to by ordinance?
Sand does not wear out and there is generally never a need to replace it.

If you must, why not follow the filter manufacturers recommendation?

The clarity of my pool water has been sub par lately and getting really cloudy when there is a higher bather rate, as far as my turnover rate and chemistry it looks pretty stable. Ph 7.4 FAC 2.2 TAC 2.7 Alk 108 Temp 84F. The pool is an in ground play pool 35,000 gal with a pump on main drain and one on skimmers at the end of the pool, high bather rate used every day of week. I thought these sand filters were to be serviced with new sand every 5-7 years? Any input would be appreciated.

Well, for a commercial pool you may have to follow different rules than we recommend.
What is your CYA level? Or are you not allow to use it?
Cloudy water is nearly always a chemistry problem ... namely keeping the FC too low for the amount of CYA in the pool.

Usually we recommend Deep Cleaning your Sand Filter, but that may not be easy given your filter sizes.

I feel like if I am going to go through and disconnect the filter from the plumbing I might as well replace the sand instead of deep cleaning such a large filter. What would be the downside to changing out the sand other than this filter takes 800lb of sand?:( I will test for CYA asap I dont have a test for that available at the moment, although you can use CYA in commercial pools and I have before.

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday after backwashing and bleeding out the filter there was dirty water looking like mud seeping out the bleeder along with some bits of hair? This has never happened to me with any filter, normal?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.