Need help understanding test results

Jul 1, 2015
Canada
I tested the water today and below is the outcome of the test. According to the test kit I need to bring out the PH, raise FC and lower CC to 0. I also need to raise CH to 250-300. anyone have any suggestions If I am doing anything wrong? I have added the Muatric acid now and have left the pump on for it to circulate, I will add the liquid chlorine tonight and will get calcium chloride at the pool store tomorrow, any idea if wall-mart carries it?

Edit: the water looks clear but I do have slight algae on my steps which I try to brush daily as that area does not get much circulation.

FC: 0.4
PH: 8.0
CC: 0.2
TA: 90
CH:100

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That is a big pool!!!

Clearly you need to raise the FC level, but you have to know the CYA level to know to what according to the FC/CYA Chart.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome to TFP!

FC is waayyyy low. Is there a reason why FC is so low?

PH needs to be maintained between 7.2 to 7.8

CC is ok

TA is ok

CH we can work on later.

First problem to solve is why is FC so low. It is important to keep FC at target and never let it drop below minimum for your CYA or the pool will not be properly sanitized and algae will grow. Look at this chart to determine the correct FC level, Chlorine CYA Chart

Also, check out
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

Hi- FC seems to be low for a couple of reasons if I am understanding correctly given my limited knowledge, firstly there was rain two days in a row and the pump was off during these two days. I actually had to empty the pool a couple times. Secondly I only turn on the pump at night, from about 10 pm to 9-10 am the next day (8 cents a KWH at off peak hours versus 16 cents a KWH during the on peak day times). SWG is set at 60% which I now adjusted to 70% to see what difference it makes. I have bought 4 jugs of liquid chlorine to add but first want to retest the water after switching the SWG to a higher percentage. my SWG is a hayward T15 40k cell which is obviously to small for the pool since I have heard here that its best to have a cell twice the size of the pool. Only way to do that is to either install a commercial salt water generator ($$$$$) or add a second swg.

I have noticed my PH goes up and according to the posts here PH naturally goes up over time, last time I added muriatic acid was about 2 weeks ago, I do not have anything that would aerate the water so for that I dont really know why its high! I called hayward a while back and they said part of the reason the cell is not producing or at least not producing enough chlorine is because the PH is high, not sure if this is true or not?

I have everything in the pool school bookmarked and its been a tremendous help, kudos to whom ever took the time to write all that!

The swg aerates the water. Keep adding acid when PH gets to 7.8 to drop it to 7.2. This will cause your TA to slowly drop and your PH and TA will eventually find equilibrium.

Not running your pump means the SWG isn't making chlorine, even more important to add bleach.

Don't know how many gallons your pool is so can't comment on your swg. There are 60k SWGs available, Pentair makes one and I'm sure others do. But, there is nothing wrong with running it at 100% to keep FC at the right level. Then add a little bleach to help out on big swim days. I like to take it up to 10ppm before and after on big swim days. For a weekend full of swimming take it to 10 again a few hours after also.

Please add your pool info in your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.