Pool Solar Finished

boston62

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Pool Size
Well finished installing 7 Fafco 4 x 10 solar panels, I picked up 11 of them for 50.00. Then decided to paint the house..Thanks to the supporters of this site...
bb923aed0b92ec04eb71d4a8e7b31acd.jpg

oh haha I thought they came that color for some reason.

Not sure but I know black absorbs heat best.

do you have temp guages on your plumbing to indicate incoming and outgoing?

I have black Solar Industries panels and they add anywhere from 4-8 degrees usually.

A lot is going to depend on the type of paint that was used, as the infrared emissivity may be completely different than the visible color. If you used something like Krylon standard spray paint the emissivity of it will be very high (.96 or so) making it good absorber of infrared heat. Of course the lighter visible color will cause some heat rejection either way, but the IR emissivity will be a big factor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You probably should not have painted them if you wanted to maximize solar gain....but i would only see that as an issue if the solar was your sole heat source. Of course the beauty of it is that if you find they are not pre heating enough for your liking, you can simply paint them black (again).... #solarmakesiteasy

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG

Just to be clear - they aren't solar panels, they are active solar hot water tubes.

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG

That's a pool solar panel. We just call them solar panels. Not to be confused with photovoltaic solar panels. The fafco ones like you got usually run $160-190 each, so you bought $1800+ worth of panels for $50. We all kinda hate you right now. Well, we're envious anyway. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.