New Sand Filter blowing sand into pool

Just purchased a 2150gph Intex Krystal Clear sand filter 2 weeks ago. Didn't have any problems putting it together (except the initial converting the hoses from 1 1/4in to 1 1/2in). Pool is 15x42 Summer Escapes metal frame. Water is crystal clear and has been tested by a local pool supply store and all levels are good. Pump runs great but it is throwing a lot of sand into the pool. If I run it for 2 hrs I would guess about a cup of sand has entered the pool. I have been sweeping and vacuuming to waste thinking it would stop. I have read a lot of posts that say the laterals are probably damaged. I didn't inspect them when I put the pump together but it is brand new. I'm thinking I should go ahead and order new laterals before I take it apart so that if I do find out they are damaged I won't have to wait for the new parts to come in. Anyone else have this problem with a new pump?

Completely tore down filter on Sunday to find nothing visibly wrong with laterals, stand pipe or 6 point valve. Went step by step putting filter back together with new laterals even though the first set didn't look to be damaged. Ran pump for 2 hours and had sand flowing through again. UGH!! Took back the pump on Tuesday and ordered a new one. Will update when the new pump arrives Friday. Hoping my water holds out the 3 days without a pump running. Wish me luck!!!

Again, it is not likely the pump, pump does not throw sand in the pool unless you have puny little filter and a manmoth pump that just stirs the sand and the sand is so agitated it breaks laterals.

Speaking of which.
Usually sand in the pool means a broken lateral. Were you careful when assembling the filter, following unstructions. putting water in before all else goes inside?
Dont know this filter but they should be all similar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just another thought, I've heard putting too much sand in your filter can cause this as well, also I've always been told to backwash the new sand for a few minutes then rinse as well, might be worth a shot, good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.