Repair or Replace

May 6, 2015
Las Cruces, NM
Im reaching out to you all for assistance with a new pump and motor.

I currently have a single speed motor - Emerson EUSQ1152 48Yframe. It just started leaking water this week. A lot of water leak. The plumbing attached to my pump is old and has been 'patched' previously and has a small leak on pressure side currently (not my biggest worry at ALL).

Without diagnosing the problem on the current motor leak - Im guessing its no more than a $50 fix for some new seals etc... but then I still have an old pump and high electric use.

I could buy a replacement single speed motor. $185 but still have high electric use

I could buy a 2 speed motor ~$385 but then I still have an old pump

Or I could buy a $600-$750 variable speed pump and motor. Receive a $300 rebate from state and be good to go. Net $300-450

The variable speed pump choices that are in the running are:
ECOSTAR SP3400VSP $745
MAX-FLO VS SP2300VSP (I see this model is now discontinued) $639
MAX-FLO VS SP2302VSP $679
Speck Badu EcoM3 V $599

I have 2 inch plumbing into the pump currently. I have 14k-15k gallon pool. It has a 'spa' but I dont use it for a spa. It does have a heater but also. Not turning that thing on ($). I have 1 skimmer and now have plumbed two old 1.5" caretaker lines backwards acting like 'main drains' (You probably want to chime in on this choice but for now lets examine the pump and motor). =p

Hay, just trying to reach out for some help.

Thank you in advance.

I could buy a 2 speed motor ~$385 but then I still have an old pump
How old are we talking?

Or I could buy a $600-$750 variable speed pump and motor. Receive a $300 rebate from state and be good to go. Net $300-450
Sounds like a good deal but don't forget to include the cost of surge protection. You want to protect your investment. As long as you don't need the pump for spa jets, I like the MaxFlo VS. Very efficient pump with decent features.

I would buy the newer model because it has a built in on/off timer. If you already have a timer, then I guess you could get the older but I wouldn't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.