Nail under new pool liner

bzbatl

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Our contractor installed new pool liner in our in-ground pool recently. When we went swimming after that we could feel what seemed like a nail under the liner on the bottom part of the pool, the slope between the shallow and deep end. The nail seems to be lying on its side (i.e. sideways). We brought it up with the contractor and he insisted that this was just a piece of vermiculite that he used to resurface the bottom of the pool. So, my husband took a magnet and went into the pool. The magnet sticks to that object under the liner. The contractor is supposed to come to verify himself if the object is in fact a nail or possibly some other metal object. My question is: how do we fix this? Do we just leave it? The contractor mentioned a couple of options:Option 1. He said he would push the nail into the vermiculite. Option 2: he would partially drain the pool until he can access that area and take the nail out. I really would not want to drain the pool again. Would the liner still fit properly after draining the pool again? Right now there are no wrinkles on it but I'm a bit concerned that draining and re-filling the pool might cause the liner not to fit properly unless it is put back in the exact same place.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

The proper way to fix it is to remove it. With a new liner it won't be a problem to get under it and remove the object and re-set the liner.

I know you don't want to drain and refill, but that's the proper way to do it. Trying to "press" it into the vermiculite could result in a hole in the liner or a weak spot in the liner that will fail sooner than expected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.