POOLSKIM connector too big for my 1" pool inlet.

Jan 27, 2009
Iv been looking everywhere online for a fitting to slip INSIDE my (im guessing very small rare) 1" pool inlet.

Im trying to install the POOLSKIM I ordered but the connectors were too big to fit inside the inlet, the inlet also does not have any "teeth" to screw it in, the inside just seems like a regular pvc pipe. So iv been looking everywhere for some kind of adapter fitting to fit inside the 1" inlet and make it bigger to either a 1.5 or 2" im not sure yet I have to see how big the connector is again on the POOLSKIM.

if anyone can help it be much appreciated, or where something like this can be bought or found. Im stuck.

I don't have any help for you but, hopefully someone will chime in.
we have the poolskim and love it!!
I'm not sure how you would screw it in if your inlet doesn't have any threads...have you emailed/called poolskim? maybe they can help.

good luck,
chris

I actually have contacted them. They are trying to resolve the issue and seeing what they have to fix the situation. like some kind of adapter or something. its just my return is only an 1" with no threads, there's 2 of them. So Poolskim connector has to be twisted in AND its also too big anyways.

They said if all fails I can return it, but I really don't want to because I see how it works and I think its cool. I put it together and stuck my hands in the pool and held it against the wall over the inlet water return to see. It started sucking up all the surface water into like a whirlpool effect into the net and I was like AWESOOOMMMEE :shock: . I JUST WISH I COULD FIT IN THERE!!

Yea' I love ours....will only have 1 return and 1 skimmer and the return was in the shallow end (it would have worked even better at the deep end, everything blows that way...pine needles,etc)...well, after we had our pool replastered we found out the line was a cooper line (which blew out a bunch of Crud when we started the pool back up after the plastering)....so the pools guys capped that line and ran
the return line to the deep end....so our pool skim finally made it to the deep end (also away from the kids)....its a little sucking vortex (gotta even watch out for small pool toys) :)

I hope they can give you some help soon....i wonder if its possible to glue/epoxy a adapter to the inlet????

good luck
chris

There is one thing you should check for. There is some chance that you have some kind of 1" pipe screwed into a standard return fitting. Given what you have said, it doesn't seem likely. But if there is actually a standard threaded fitting "behind" that 1" pipe it would save you a great deal of trouble to discover it sooner rather than later.

Is your pool an inground or above ground and if inground is it plaster, vinyl, or filberglass? is your return just a plain pipe or is there some sort of ring around the 1" opening? Can you adjust the direction of the 1" opening? Posting a picture would be most helpful.

Unless your pools is VERY old and plaster I suspect that you actually have some sort of return screwed into the standard pipe fitting.

MF,

I had exactly the same problem when I bought my PoolSkim. What you need is called a threaded slip adapter. I bought 2 from my local Pinch a Penny (pool store). It was hard to find a connecter that would do the job. I checked Plumbing stores, hardware stores and also pool stores. I ran into a couple of issues that you may be interested in.

1. The slip part on the threaded connector is very small and would not reach my inlet pipe very well. I had to chip around the plaster to make it work.
2. I used two part epoxy putty (waterproof) to bond the slip adapter to my return line. It takes 24hrs to cure under water. If you go this route I would wait at least 48 hrs. The first time I bonded the adapter and connected the PoolSkim it popped out a week later from me tightening to hard. The epoxy does not hold well to my Diamond Brite (plaster). I am just careful removing and installing the PoolSkim and so far this time it has been about 7 months that the adapter.
3. If ever drain my pool below the return line, I will then neatly chip around the return and glue the adapter.

I posted the exact same question a while back.

Hope this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mfpluna - or anyone else - I'm wondering how you ever resolved this issue of return lines that are comprised of nothing more than smooth PVC pipe and no "teeth" to screw into. I have the same situation as my PB installed a 2" and a 1.5" return lines both with just simple PVC pipe.

JCJR mentioned a slip adapter and waterproof epoxy. Are you saying that it is possible to install an adapter that slips in place inside the return line and gets glued in place - all while underwater? I have visions of lowering my waterline below the returns before I can attempt this.

Thoughts? I'd like to purchase a PoolSkim but need to be able to connect it to my return line.

I have an update. I mentioned that my adapter popped out after a week, well it happened again last week so I went back to Pinch a Penny and talked to the salesperson. Polaris makes a "1.5 expansion connector" part #91008011 which works better. I bought it for around $18 but it is worth it for my application. It works like an expansion bolt, you slip in the tubular part and turn the connector and the tubular part expands and uses friction to hold onto the inside of the pipe. I was afraid to tighten it too much and risk breaking it but even at a light pressure it is holding up.

Hope this helps.

Iv been looking everywhere online for a fitting to slip INSIDE my (im guessing very small rare) 1" pool inlet.

Im trying to install the POOLSKIM I ordered but the connectors were too big to fit inside the inlet, the inlet also does not have any "teeth" to screw it in, the inside just seems like a regular pvc pipe. So iv been looking everywhere for some kind of adapter fitting to fit inside the 1" inlet and make it bigger to either a 1.5 or 2" im not sure yet I have to see how big the connector is again on the POOLSKIM.

if anyone can help it be much appreciated, or where something like this can be bought or found. Im stuck.
Hello- I realize this is an old post but it may help any new readers. I am looking to own a poolskim as my pool does not have one, well I am the skimmer. Lol The poolskim website states that it is not compatible with Intex pool fittings and they provide a link or tell you about The Circulator' website and they have different adapters available for different pool fittings. Like if you have unthreaded type like a straight pipe. Wes is the guy to talk to he will help you get set up for a poolskim. The Circulator looks like it would be beneficial for a pool so I am considering it too but have to see the installation location and see if I can use both.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.