New Intex Owner Having to Backwash Often

bamato

Jun 18, 2015
Mesa, AZ
So I've been doing some reading here and across the interwebs, but I'm not quite finding the answer I'm looking for. We purchased an 18x9 Ultra Frame pool and it came with the SF90110T sand filter pump. We also purchased and installed the salt water system for up to 14000 gallons. We set it all up, purged all the air, and it seemed to run fine (pressure gauge reading 6 psi). We had a dust storm roll through the valley that same night, so the next morning the pressure had dropped on the filter so I backwashed all the gunk out. I decided to get in the pool and start vacuuming some of the sediment off the bottom. I managed to make about 2 9 foot passes before the suction was almost too weak to even lift the dust off the ground. So I had to get out and backwash again. I'm not sucking up *that* much dust out of the pool, is it normal for these pumps/filters to lose suction so easily? I've checked for air leaks in the hoses and haven't found any.

Suggestions? Is the included pump just too weak to be effective?

Welcome! Good to have you here.

Before you vacuumed, the pressure should not have dropped following a dust storm, but the opposite should have happened. Having the filter plug off after sucking up dirt is what you would expect. This will block flow through the SF, and that will mean less suction. Not unexpected. You'll have to keep after it until done.

Bamato, we live in Fountain Hills so we get the same dust. If you're talking about the dust storm Saturday night, our pool was a mess too. We use a bit bigger filter and Wanda the Whale to vacuum so I can't help you with the suction issue, but can only tell you that we had to backwash twice before getting all the dust out of the pool and the skimmer basket was completely full of junk.

Diana

When your filter is clogged, the pressure gauge on the filter will read higher instead of lower.

If your pressure is reading lower and you've eliminated the possibility of a suction side leak, then something is plugged up on the suction side of the pump. Do you have plunger valves in place so that you can close off the water to the pump? If so, turn off the pump and close the valves and check inside the leaf basket on the side of the pump. Make sure the hole between it and the pump isn't clogged. With the clear top unscrewed and your filter set to "Filter", open the valve at the return and let water flow backwards thru the filter and the pump. Sometimes this will flush out a bunch of leaves and junk clogged up inside the pump.

Just want to stress, you have to rinse the filter for approximately the same same amount of time you backwash. This may not be your problem now but I just wanted to mention it. I almost trashed a perfectly fine filter because I did not know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.