Newly acquired pool in TERRIBLE condition

Jul 1, 2015
Naples, FL
Quick backstory.

We just bought a house going into foreclosure that the people completely let it go. All of it. Including the pool. I decided to start draining the pool because it was so black in there that it looked like it was on a bayou. I wasn't sure if there were snakes, gators, whatever (the pool cage is missing screens). There were none of those, but probably 100 tadpoles that I have seen in the water. However I believe the biggest problem (I could be wrong) is the algae stains covering the pool. They look like this....

52jZ56i.jpg

ijxPEzm.jpg

3MsUicD.jpg

I am trying to do this on a super tight budget, as the entire house needs remodeling, much more than initially intended. I do have a friends pressure washer here because the pool cage looks like it was part of the Jumanji set, so if that is an option I can do that too.

Keep in mind. I am a total newbie when it comes to pools, so if you are using terminology that regular pool users use, I won't get it (yet!) but I will gladly look it up so you don't have to dumb down your comments for me!

Welcome aboard! You've already made a good decision by coming to TFP. The folks here will help you reclaim your pool for a lot less money than the pool store would.

First things first, though, you will have to get a test kit. TFTestKits is the place to go. Order either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006. In my opinion, the TF-100 is a better deal... Also pick up the XL Option -- this includes additional reagents (chemicals we test with) for testing chlorine. Trust me, you'll need it.

I'd also recommend the SpeedStir -- it makes testing much easier (and it makes you feel like a mad scientist...).

While waiting for your kit to arrive, read up on some of the articles in Pool School (big link at the top of the page). Definitions and Abbreviations, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain are good places to start. You will be SLAMing your pool once we make sure everything is operational.

I'm going to ask some preliminary questions, and the experts will no doubt be along behind me to give advice.

How far have you gotten with your drain and refill? We will need the water level halfway up the skimmer (halfway up your blue tile) before we begin.

Do you know if the pump and filter are operable?

What "pool tools" do you have? You will need at least a telescoping pole, a leaf rake, a pool brush, and a vacuum head and hose.

Also, if you will go to 'Settings' in the top right corner, then click 'Edit Signature' under 'My Settings' and input any and all information you have about your pool, it will be a tremendous help in giving you advice.

Shoot. I ordered the K-2006 because I had an Amazon gift card and I have Prime so it'll be here Friday. Is there other things I need to get it so it's the same testing results as what you guys use?

All I know about my pool, to be totally honest is that it's 8100 gallons (20x12 3'-6') and that it has a very old, propane water heater. That of which I'm sure won't get much use being in South Florida anyway.

How high is your water table? Pools when emptied become boats, not good... this can be a huge problem..

your pressure washer will probably do great things in cleaning everything up...

get water back into ASAP.... get a test kit from tftestkits.net and stay out of the pool store unless they are the only place you can buy parts for the pool :)

Have fun

- - - Updated - - -

the K2006 is a good and recommended test kit also, just does not have alot of reagents

Side note, I don't know how much of a problem the tadpoles will be, I just watched a black racer come in and jump right in the pool and start feasting....haha

2 Options: Should I put water back up to the top, for now and wait until I get the kit then SLAM it? Or should I drain it, pressure wash it and then refill it and start doing the SLAM once the kit comes in?

If the water table in your area is high, I wouldn't go draining too much water from your pool. As cowboycasey mentioned, you'll float your pool. Bad things happen that way (breaking PVC lines, for one...).

IMO, refill to mid-skimmer level, get the pump running, and start stocking up on bleach (8.25%, "Concentrated", unscented, plain old bleach).

As soon as your test kit arrives, post a full set of results...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

and we'll get you on your way to a beautiful oasis.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Couple of problems going on...

Are you pulling water just from the bottom or main drain...

I guess you have to be, that's the only way you would have water and be able to run your pump while emptying the pool...

Most of the time you do not run the pump until it is filled half way up the skimmer... You will need to fix the plumbing at the break...

Looing back at this post and your 911 thread, I suppose it's possible you may have had so much back-pressure from the filter for so long a time that the fitting simply failed. Wow. Well, if you can't clean that filter enough or get a replacement right away, simply leave the filter out so you don't jeopardize anything else. Yikes.

I just had flashbacks to the summer of 2013... I had the same thing happen to me twice, except mine split between the threaded fitting and the pipe it attached to. I was next to the pump the second time it happened, and let me tell you that was a heart-wrenching sound. Sort of a FFFPOPSSSSHHHHH. :D

The good news is that you were home when it happened and you managed to catch it in time to do no damage to your pump.

As mentioned above be careful when draining the pool. If you do not know your water table I suggest using a post digger to dig down as far as your pool is deep. Let it sit overnight and check the hole to see if it has filled with any water. Once the pool is drained you will want to look under the main drain covers to see if there is a hydrostatic valve or a pipe that goes into the ground that is capped. They hydrostatic valve will let ground water into the pool if your water table is higher than the pool as will the pipe once the cap is removed.

You will also want to test your well water once your get your kit to confirm what is in it and to develop a plan on how to balance the water once you re-fill the pool. I would also suggest taking a sample of your pool water to a pool store and have them test for metals since you are filling from a well.

You have already done so much right! Great job!

Good job with the pics. We LOVE pics!

You are on the right track. Read this while you wait for your test kit.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Find your best price and easiest to get bleach/ chlorine-Walmart=8.25% bleach, pool store=11% chlorine. They are the same thing with the chlorine being stronger.

Go ahead and start stocking up on your bleach.

We can get your pool clean and clear!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.