New Pool Noob Here!

Jul 1, 2015
Naples, FL
Hey there TFP! My name is Danny, I live in Southwest Florida, in Naples, specifically. You may have heard of it, if you're retired or have retired family members, they most likely live here haha.

Anyway, my fiance and I just bought our first house. It was a foreclosure, and a bit of a fixer-upper. It has an inground pool in very poor condition, which I remember vaguely things my dad taught me about it when i was younger, but not nearly enough to maintain my pool....trouble free lol...So needless to say, I will be a big pain in your butts until I get the hang of this!

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on the new domicile and pool. Ask away we are all pool owners like you. Please get a good test kit, there is a link in my signature. Also start reading the pool school also linked below. We want pictures and water numbers asap. One last thing, don't get pool stored :)

Thanks! I did make a post with pictures in the Algae prevention section. It's truly very bad. Only thing I have done with the pool store is buy chlorine! I have a test kit from Home Depot, I don't have if that's worth anything at all or if I should invest more into a kit. I got it because it looks almost identical to the one I had to use as a kid, so I went with familiar lol

Trust me you need either a Taylor 2600 or the kit in the link below. Drop based chlorine tests are more accurate especially if the chlorine needs to be above 5.

Stock up on 8.25% bleach. Make sure it's regular not splash less or scented. Target or Walmart store brands are fine as long as they say 8.25% on the label.

52jZ56i.jpg

Here is a little sample of what we are dealing with here. My post is still waiting to be approved. Not good, not good at all. We have been in the house for only a couple of days. The entire yard needs work, so we wanted to get the pool fixed so we could jump in to cool off while working outside in the "lovely" Florida heat.

Edit: the post is now up in the Algae prevention section.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support