Tiny blue flakes form returns

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

The last week or so, at times I have tiny blue flakes / crystals coming out of the return jets. Its most noticable in the spa since its shallow and very white. I vacuum the spa to where there isnt a spec of dirt. Turn on the returns for a few minutes. And the little guys collect right under them.

They are about the size of a pencil point (sometimes slightly larger) and very hard. I can break them up and they almost turn into powder. So maybe its some chemical clumping together and getting through the filter?

It doesnt seem like a huge deal but Im really curious to know what it might be.
About 2-3 weeks ago I replaced the filter grids because of tears. Up until that point I had a horrible metal problem. Thats been completely gone since the new grids were installed.

FC - 4
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 100
CYA - 30

Thanks a lot :)

Do you or have you had noodles in the pool? That is where my flakes originate.

I think you are 100% right!!! I think the flaking is actually coming from the noodles. I can't believe I didn't realize this earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have any mineral cartridges such as Nature2 installed? When I had a Nature2 system installed it busted open and I had small blue and white balls come through the returns.

Nope. I definitely think this is coming from the noodles now. Thanks for the help though!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.