Alternative approaches to conversion

Re: How to convert a Baquacil pool to chlorine

Have you actually tried it? I can't find what it actually contains, but the directions are very similar to another product that contained bromine and has had fairly poor results in all of the cases of people actually trying it that I have heard of.

This is the same company that makes EZ-Pool, an 'alternative sanitizer' or, as they say on their website, a long lasting oxidizer and dry acid mixture with a clarifier. My guess is that EZ-Pool is just sodium percarbonate and dry acid. Sodium percarbonate was used as a non chlorine shock in the commercial sector but since it interferes with ORP and destroys FC by liberating H2O2 it fell out of favor. The only sodium percarbonate product labeled as such that I currently know of is Proteam System Support for clearing badly fouled pools. (It works well, btw!)
Sodium Percarbonate IS effective at oxidizing biguanide and converting a biguanide pool to chlorine fairly quickly, btw.

However, the description of this product's usage is more consistent with a bromine based product for converting from biguanide, much like GLB X-Change.
http://www.glbpoolspa.com/TechDataInfo. ... ductID=136

I tend to shy away from any company that does not make their MSDSs readily available.

Bottom line, there is NO fast and easy way to convert from biguanide back to chlorine. You have to oxidize the biguanide and then change the filter media and the process takes some time. A large dose or two of sodium percarbonate followed b maintaining shock levels of chlorine until there is no CC seems to be the fastest but just using chlorine seems to be the most cost effective.

waterbear said:
Bottom line, there is NO fast and easy way to convert from biguanide back to chlorine. You have to oxidize the biguanide and then change the filter media and the process takes some time. A large dose or two of sodium percarbonate followed b maintaining shock levels of chlorine until there is no CC seems to be the fastest but just using chlorine seems to be the most cost effective.

I will agree, waterbear. The "rainbow effect" during the "just add chlorine" conversion method at least shows that it is
happening! :mrgreen:

BTW, I have only two customers who used the Flip Out, and they reported that the conversion was "faster". I am not a big fan of that company's full line, but have had good reports on Flip Out and Revive!.

budster said:
I am not a big fan of that company's full line, but have had good reports on Flip Out and Revive!.
Revive is basically just an alum based floc as per the company's website stating that it "Contains Aluminum Poly-Chlorides and other natural minerals...." (Possibly some Lanthanum chloride also for better phosphate removal.)
http://www.apiwater.com/poolowners-revive.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.