Intex SWG

Finally got this installed! Ran it for 2 hours starting at 3 pm, then tested at 6:30 and FC was up 1.5ppm.

Now I just hope I remember to reset it when the power goes off, which happens a lot here.

I'm thnking a backup or battery backup system is what I need. Mine lost power a few times too. Its kind of a PITA - other than that I am sold on this unit.

Is there some trick to adjusting this thing? I am following the instructions to unlock the controls (press down button until you get a long beep, then up button until you get the beep) but I never get a beep so I can't even unlock the controls. It's just flashing 93 and never does beep.

And whenever I do manage to adjust the run time... Does it then start the next cycle right at the time I adjust it?

That is the one other complaint I have is that the touch controls are poorly designed with regard to the sensitivity. Disconnect your power supply for a few minutes, reconnect then try again.

My UP button is a bit touchy on making adjustments to the run time (not unlocking - that works fine) I find that pressure has to be applied more to one side of the touch pad/button to operate as it should and not for long - push and let go. They may have put the face plate on just a bit offside in manufacturing so that the underlying "touch/pressure pad" is not lined up right with the face plate.

It sounds like maybe you have a faulty unit? If you continue to have an issue, I would just return it and have them send you one that works. Why mess around with one that isn't working?

Answer to the second question is Yes, if you are out there at 10am setting it, then 10am is when it begins its cycle each day so you will want to be sure your pump timer (if you have one) is set to run at that time also or you will get a "low flow" error.

This is not the most sophisticated unit out there, but keeping in mind that it cost less than $150 does make the fact that you have to manually do some things worth it. I could not afford a higher cost unit this year and would have been dumping bleach every day - so with that in mind. Still worth it - 100%.

BTW, Mike - I believe the other one is PETA, which is also a PITA - if it were up to them, they would send my parrots out the door and say, "fly free little birds - nobody owns you" Yah, right. Little do they know, those birds own ME and live like royalty - my kids are jealous. Kota would come right back looking for his beloved "Dad" and Ray would bite their fingers off first.

Oh, yeah, it is definitely worth it for $150. In my next house with a pool, I'd get a more advanced SWG, but for now this is perfect considering we don't know long we'll be here with this pool.

I went out and power cycled it, and then I was able to unlock, reset, lock, and repeat multiple times. Hopefully it was just a one time fluke, but I will continue to test the controls over the next few days to make sure it's going to behave.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NWMNMom said:
BTW, Mike - I believe the other one is PETA, which is also a PITA - if it were up to them, they would send my parrots out the door and say, "fly free little birds - nobody owns you" Yah, right. Little do they know, those birds own ME and live like royalty - my kids are jealous. Kota would come right back looking for his beloved "Dad" and Ray would bite their fingers off first.

Amen to that, Mom. I'm a softie when it comes to animals, but PETA takes things waaaaaayyyy too extreme, as you well know. Our little long haired dachshund has us trained pretty well, too. :)

Hi all :)

So what does everyone thing of their Intex saltwater system after having it a while? Farm and Fleet (near our house) has the units for $149.00 (no shipping! :) )...I think I'm finally going to buy one for our 21' AGP, it would be great to hear from some owners.

thanks all,
dan

i got 1 last year for my 15' easyset pool and other than the occasional power outage, i love it. just set and forget(almost). i just purchased a 18' venice agp and cant wait to try it. it takes a while to get it figured out as in how long to set it for the proper amount of chlorine, but once you figure out the amount of time to set it for, it is a piece of cake. just keep your water balanced properly, and you shall have no problem. i just hope the fittings will fit as i hear the intex has oddball fittings. if not, i will make it fit somehow. i wouldnt change back to chemicals ever again, with the exception of bbb.

Attachments

• PC043392.JPG
    PC043392.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 26
  • PC043393.JPG
    PC043393.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 26
I have to say it was the best small investment I made last year (after putting up the deck there wasn't any money left for big investments!)

The biggest thing to remember is that you should have your salt levels correct and your water balanced FIRST before you hook it up - it does a bang up job of maintaining that - read back through what we have posted regarding settings, etc. and you will see it works just fine.

Well...I finally bought one of these units. I've already got the water cleaned and balanced for the year, I just need some warm weather now! Hook-up was a breeze. My pool and filter fittings are 1 1/2". I found all the needed fittings to hook the Intex SWG to the pool and filter. I noticed that some people had complained that the needed fittings weren't supplied, I wonder if they started shipping the units with the needed connections now? I'm not crazy about the supplied hose...but it's good enough to get things going.

I'll have to pick up another bag of salt in order to get rid of the "low salt" alarm, so I can't comment on how the chlorine levels are maintained. I could see how the unit turning off with power outages could be a pain...but really don't foresee any other complaints about this $150.00 unit other than that. But only time will tell ;)

dan

I'm with you on this one Dan. Just waiting for the water to warm up so I can get my salt in and levels up. The ice just went off a few days ago!

Hmmm...

Ok, I'm a little bummed at the moment. It looks as though I have to remove the SWG from my signature below :cry: I had mentioned that I was coming up with a "low salt error". Before running out for more salt I checked my levels, which ended up being within the target range. Because I read the thread linked in the other post, I decided to just take the unit back for an exchange it rather than trying to troubleshoot the bad unit. I hooked up the new unit and it ran for a couple days before it started coming up with the "low salt error." Now the unit will run fine for a while...but will sporadically throw out the "low salt error" at some point during its cycle. The unit is going to be returned for a refund this time.

Now I've got a pool with 3,000ppm of salt and I have to decide if I want to look for another SWG and pay a higher price...or go with bleach again :(

:cry:
dan

sad to hear you are having a headache with this. Good luck - I'm living vicariously though all of you who actually have your pools up and running. I'm hoping my SWG runs ok this year - I only had plumbing connection issues last year and that was with EVERYTHING not just the SWG so I've got my fingers cross.

Hope you are up and running soon!

NWMNMom said:
sad to hear you are having a headache with this. Good luck - I'm living vicariously though all of you who actually have your pools up and running. I'm hoping my SWG runs ok this year - I only had plumbing connection issues last year and that was with EVERYTHING not just the SWG so I've got my fingers cross.

Hope you are up and running soon!

:) thanks for the words of encouragement. But I hope you don't think that we're close to swimming in the pool. No way...the water is still way too cold. I just needed to start testing my water, I was having test kit withdrawals ;)

take care!
dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.