LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just ran my first full test this season, I have not had any issues so I have just been adding chlorine and checking PH and CYA once last week. If it ain't broke don't fix it, just tweak it a little.

Approx 10,000 gallons maybe 11,000 depending on calculation, vinyl Liner. I have been using 10,000 for calculations. Pool is clear and sparkly.

I have been adding liquid bleach about 24-32 oz per day and have a floater with 1 puck to try to bump my cya. Not doing much with all the rain we got. Honestly since I stopped using pucks I have not battled cloudy or tinted water the last 2 years so I am being cautious.

TC 4.0
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 60
CH 120
CYA 30

I am pretty much in line with the Trouble Free Pool recommendations in Pool Calculator. The TA should go from 60-70, otherwise it is in line.

Looking at traditional pool recommendations, there is a larger discrepancy. TA should go to 80 and CH to 200?

Why such a difference in the CH levels between the two, I would think TFP would be higher, but then I am not a chemist.

Anyway I have some alkalinity left over from the store, I assume it is the same as baking soda where I can add 28 oz volume. Would that be a fair assumption That the 'alkalinity' would be the same volume as baking soda?

Thanks

Don't mess with the TA unless it's broke. If your pH is stable don't chase a magic number with TA.

Pool stores want you to keep your CH at 200 because they sell calcium to raise the level. Your vinyl pool does not need it. If you really have money burning a hole in your pocket you can buy some and raise it, but it does nothing for your pool.

Thanks, I have not had a store test this season. I have left over Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate aka alkalinity sitting around. I won't mess with it since it has been stable.

I do have a question, I have borax but never had the need to add it. When you add it, does it make your pool bubbly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.