Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello,

I have been using the TFP BBB method for about 2 months now and it has been working great. I am leaving on vacation for about 15 days. I am trying to find someone to come over to tend the pool. I am unable to find someone is there any recommendations on what can be done. My CYA is at 40, and am using liquid chlorine.

I have heard folks recommending the use of pucks, while other have suggested getting the FC up to SLAM levels and covering the pool with the solar cover. Has anyone had any experience with either of this or any thoughts?

On a side note, would there be any negative to leaving a solar cover on the pool for that long? No air mixing into the water...

Thank you

Hello Shani! You care correct on both assumptions - owners will increase their FC level close to or at SLAM level and also use pucks/tables for a few days just to get by with the understanding it will raise the CYA by a few ppm. Most do this as opposed to the alternative which is having an algae-filled pool when they return. So if you can't find anyone to put some bleach in your pool every day or so, sure, put some tabs in a floater or your in-line chlorinator, then yank them out as soon as you return.

I can't speak for the solar cover question, although covers in general tend to help reduce sunlight/UV rays thereby saving on FC. But someone else will probably confirm for you. Have a great vacation!

Hi Texas, thanks for the quick response. With regards to the tabs, I had purchased a floating duck which takes tabs (before I knew anything about pools), needless to say I have never used it. This may be a dumb question but I would assume if I use this then I can't use the solar cover (No in-line chlorinator).

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks tim, is there an estimate of how I can calculate many pucks would be needed for the number of days gone. If it isn't too many pucks, I can always drain some water and fill it to lower the CYA unless it goes too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.