What chemicals do I add first?

Jun 30, 2015
raleigh/nc
I just bought an Intex 18' x 45" above ground pool. Has pump with a paper filter. My test numbers are zero or in low range except for the free chlorine that is 0.5 And ph does read 6.2. I have chorine tabs floating in one of those things in the pool. I would like to do the BBB method. Does it matter what I add first? I live in the Raleigh area temps have been 80-90. Please advise...

Welcome to TFP! Let's get your started:
1 - We advise using granule stabilizer to increase your CYA. Place enough o get your to a starting point of 30 ppm in a sock and let hang in front of a return to dissolve. It will take about a week to show-up on your test results (CYA)
2 - Add enough bleach (about 1/2 gallon) each evening just to keep FC at about 2-3ppm; later you will go a bit higher.
3 - You will use regular Arm & Hammer Washing Soda to increase your PHH to about 7.2

A couple other things:
- The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.
2 - Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

This is just to get your going, but you MUST have your own test kit as noted above. Let us know if you have any more questions. Welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, when you add the stabilizer in a sock to your pool, remove that floater with the pucks. :) You can get stabilizer at Wal-Mart - 4lb container.

- - - Updated - - -

And so you know where to go, use the link in my signature "Poolmath calculator" to figure out how much of something to add based on your pool size. If you have questions about how to use it, just ask.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.