Skimmer question....

TN94z

May 15, 2012
Henderson, TN
Our pool installer told us that when we vacuum, we close the the skimmer that doesn't get the vacuum hooked up almost completely to add more suction to the skimmer where we vacuum from. Also, I've noticed that we have to play with how much we close that same skimmer to make sure the other skimmer actually pulls debris in...make sense.

But, after re-opening the pool this year, it seems that the skimmer farthest from our pump (the same one we vacuum out of) barely even has any suction any more. It doesn't matter how much we adjust the other skimmer, it just doesn't seem to pull like it used to. Any ideas or suggestions? Could it be the pump? I am looking to replace it anyway.

Pressure readings generally stay the same other than the rise when it needs to be backwashed.

I have 1 line for the skimmers and main drains, and my returns are split into two lines. The installer did it that way so I could turn the valve to cut flow to 3 of the returns which increased the pressure to the return that we connected the Polaris 360 to...

So where are the valves to adjust between the 2 skimmers and the floor?

Those only have shutoff valves. The adjustments I was referring to for the skimmers and the vacuum are just the little doors (for a lack of a better term) at the bottom of the skimmer itself. Where you can close off the suction.... under the skimmer basket when you take it out...does that make sense?

I know what doors you are talking about. Do you just have a flap on the bottom of the skimmer or do you have a float diverter?
I still do not understand the way the pipes are done.

Is there 1 suction pipe at the pump? Where is the floor plumbed to?

I know what doors you are talking about. Do you just have a flap on the bottom of the skimmer or do you have a float diverter?
I still do not understand the way the pipes are done.

Is there 1 suction pipe at the pump? Where is the floor plumbed to?

Yes, the flap. Yes there is just one suction pipe at the pump. After it goes through the filter, it hits the return pipe that splits into two pipes. One of those runs 3 returns, while the other runs straight to 1 return that we connected the polaris too. This was done so we could increase pressure to the polaris.

Why? I don't know. That's just what the installed told us after he was done and was showing us how to operate everything.

Uh Oh ... I seem to not be seeing the pipes :D

To be sure, the returns feel normal and the filter pressure seems the same as last year?
Just you do not think there is as much suction from the far skimmer.

Uh Oh ... I seem to not be seeing the pipes :D

To be sure, the returns feel normal and the filter pressure seems the same as last year?
Just you do not think there is as much suction from the far skimmer.

No pipes would be a good reason I have no suction...haha!!

Yes, that is correct. I can shut the door on the skimmer closest to the pump and the far skimmer still doesn't seem to increase suction much...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, if you close the first skimmer and the 2nd one does not increase, does the filter pressure and return flow drop? Or where is the floor plumbed in this situation? Can you close off the floor also?

Does not seem like this setup is very ideal.

When Jason refers to the floor I think he means the main drain. Does your pool have a main drain? If so it must be plumbed to one of the skimmers, and most likely to the skimmer closest to the pump. If this is the case closing the flap on that skimmer's float valve won't do much as the pump will just pull more water thru the second hole underneath the float valve that goes to the main drain.

Well, if you close the first skimmer and the 2nd one does not increase, does the filter pressure and return flow drop? Or where is the floor plumbed in this situation? Can you close off the floor also?

Does not seem like this setup is very ideal.

Honestly, I haven't closed it and then looked at the filter pressure or return flow. I will check on that. No, I can't close the floor. Yeah, I didn't think so either but it is what it is now

When Jason refers to the floor I think he means the main drain. Does your pool have a main drain? If so it must be plumbed to one of the skimmers, and most likely to the skimmer closest to the pump. If this is the case closing the flap on that skimmer's float valve won't do much as the pump will just pull more water thru the second hole underneath the float valve that goes to the main drain.

Yeah, I understand what he means. Actually has the two main drains that are noted in the beautiful artwork above...lol. No, if you close the flap on the skimmer closest to the pump, the other skimmer would suck your hand down in there hard enough to hurt it if you weren't careful. It doesn't do that now.

I wish I knew more about the plumbing but it's not something that I saw a lot of as it was mostly done while I was at work.

Yes please post a picture. Typically if there is only one suction line running from the pool to the pump then the main drain is connected to the skimmer, and then the suction line goes from the skimmer to the pump. A flap or a adjustments on a float valve are then used to control how much water is pulled into the skimmer from the main drain vs how much water is pulled down thru the skimmer basket.

If sounds like you have two skimmers that each have a suction line and those lines join together underground, and you control how much is pulled from each skimmer by adjusting the flaps on the suction port of each skimmer.

If the second hole in each skimmer is plugged then the main drains don't go to the skimmers and must be joined to the suction line underground. This assumes you are getting suction at the main drains, have you checked? If this is true you have no control on how much water is pulled thru the skimmers because even if you close off a flap more water could be pulled from the main drains rather than the other skimmer. You would have to put something over the main drain covers to restrict the flow.

If this is how the pool is plumbed then the builder really screwed it up.

Yes please post a picture. Typically if there is only one suction line running from the pool to the pump then the main drain is connected to the skimmer, and then the suction line goes from the skimmer to the pump. A flap or a adjustments on a float valve are then used to control how much water is pulled into the skimmer from the main drain vs how much water is pulled down thru the skimmer basket.

If sounds like you have two skimmers that each have a suction line and those lines join together underground, and you control how much is pulled from each skimmer by adjusting the flaps on the suction port of each skimmer.

If the second hole in each skimmer is plugged then the main drains don't go to the skimmers and must be joined to the suction line underground. This assumes you are getting suction at the main drains, have you checked? If this is true you have no control on how much water is pulled thru the skimmers because even if you close off a flap more water could be pulled from the main drains rather than the other skimmer. You would have to put something over the main drain covers to restrict the flow.

If this is how the pool is plumbed then the builder really screwed it up.

-I'll get a picture in just a bit.
-The main drains have suction because the leaves always get sucked down to the main drains and have to be swept off.
-But I can assure you that when you close the flap in the closest skimmer, the farther skimmer has a lot more suction. That's how we used to get more suction with the vacuum hose hooked up to the farther skimmer.
-So far, the pool plumbing has worked as advertised. The pool stays clean, it's easy to air lock the pipes when closing, etc...This is the first problem that we have had and I'm not sure it's even a big problem.
-I know there is only one open hole and one plugged in each skimmer because when we close, we only have to plug the one open hole with a gizmo for the winter

I do see an error I made. There ARE 2 lines going to the pump. I was thinking there was only an on/off valve on the returns but I was incorrect.

Maybe one suction line goes to the main drains and the other goes to the skimmers? This would make a lot more sense and takes your builder off the hook. :) You could open/close each valve in turn and find out where they go. If you do have a line that is for the main drains only you'll likely need to shut it off when vacuuming.

To avoid confusion we usually refer to the lines after the filter going to the pool as the "returns". The "suction" lines go from the pool to the pump.

I know that I am late to this discussion but is it possible that you have old American Products skimmers? They only have one hole for suction and they divide the suction between skimmer and main drain by a diverter valve that fits into the suction hole and can turn to adjust the suction A lot of older California pools have them.

Maybe one suction line goes to the main drains and the other goes to the skimmers? This would make a lot more sense and takes your builder off the hook. :) You could open/close each valve in turn and find out where they go. If you do have a line that is for the main drains only you'll likely need to shut it off when vacuuming.

To avoid confusion we usually refer to the lines after the filter going to the pool as the "returns". The "suction" lines go from the pool to the pump.

Yes, I'm sure that's how it us plumbed. We haven't had a need to shut off the mains t vacuum in the past. I mean, if we have a separate line that runs both skimmers, then shutting the flap in the closest skimmer would obviously give more suction to the farther skimmer. That's the way it has worked for 3 years, but is having issues this year. Yeah, I always refer to the lines leaving the filter going to the pool as returns. And usually refer to the others as suction.

I know that I am late to this discussion but is it possible that you have old American Products skimmers? They only have one hole for suction and they divide the suction between skimmer and main drain by a diverter valve that fits into the suction hole and can turn to adjust the suction A lot of older California pools have them.

The skimmers have their own line. They aren't connected to the mains. The only adjustment to suction in the skimmer, is the flap that simply covers the suction hole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.