New Pool Water & Need to Adjust

Jun 19, 2015
Rochester/NH
I finally got my TF-100 test kit after I had the pool filled last week with treated water. Without knowing where my levels are to start I added some HTH Conditioner to get my CYA levels up & have been adding HTH pure chlorine liquid daily (obviously too much as the test results show below) I have a Intex SWG that I will be installing but wanted to test my levels first. My FC is through the roof & have no idea where to begin so any help is appreciated, thanks.
FC- 23
CC- 0
CH- 125
TA- 220
CYA- 30

Nothing to do at this point besides stop adding chlorine and let it drop.
How much were you adding every day? Clearly more than the 2-3ppm that you should have been adding ;)
Were you using PoolMath?

You can add the salt and let that get well circulated while you wait.
You will also want to raise the CYA more when you are ready for the SWG to take over.

Also, please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Well, then something does not add up. 16 oz of 10% bleach should have only added about 2ppm ... if that was done for a week, you would have only added 14ppm of FC not including the losses that definitely would have happened to the sun.

So, now I suspect test error, unless you added something else to the pool.

Can you describe how you did the FAS-DPD chlorine test? Using 10ml of water right? Did you actually count 46 drops?

Did the sample start with a deep pink color after the scoop? FYI, you can not use too much powder, but too low can give questionable results. One scoop is fine for normal FC levels, but a little extra at higher FC levels will not hurt.

Did the sample start with a deep pink color after the scoop? FYI, you can not use too much powder, but too low can give questionable results. One scoop is fine for normal FC levels, but a little extra at higher FC levels will not hurt.

Yes, everything looked right according to the instructions. I think the problem may be that I started with "treated pool water" according to the delivery driver. I have a well here so I had to pay for a company to deliver pool water. The website lists it as treated but no mention how or with what.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.