New Filberglass pool install. 2" off level

A water feature is an excellent idea if that's what you want to go with. Personally, I'd go with a rock waterfall but if you're looking for something more elegant like the pics above, I'm sure it could work if you want he minimalist effort put into the over all fix. Personally, if SanJuan asked me what I wanted to rectify the situation, they'd of been told a whole new install at no cost to me. You know, because I already paid for it and it wasn't my fault. And honestly... it makes me laugh when they say it was SanJuan's fault that it wasn't level... Did SanJuan install it? NO!!! They did not. Your pool builder is a liar!

Well, I think everyone's given you their opinions already: have it ripped out and reinstalled. How are they going to plumb for a water feature without tearing out concrete to run pipes? Are they intending to just do a lazy add-on to your already existing pool lines and pump that will require the waterfall to be on anytime the pool is circulating? Is a water feature of such value to have a non-conforming pool?

It's obviously your choice, but I think you should listen to the consensus here.

I'm not sure a waterfall unless it was large and hung over the wall could hide that much. I'm doubful of the approach.

Ask the PB for a rendering of what he wants to do. Have him be specific. Give him a couple of days. You need something to look at. But I don't think you will be happy with it.

I probably would ask for a reset. Its not pleasant to admit mistakes in the construction industry. I've done it.

He needs to man up and admit the problem and fix it. Getting that pool level was the most important thing he had to do in your build and he blew it --- now fix it. Jacking and hand digging won't be fun and will cost but who want to be the fiberglass pool guy who can t level a pool?

I agree with Kim, and I'm not even an expert. That's one of my key thought points when making a big and difficult decision: Will I have regrets later? That certainly doesn't mean your answer would be the same as mine. You guys might not have any regrets by going in a different direction than replace.

As far as using a water feature to disguise the issue, I agree with YS. I think anything linear will exaggerate the problem. But the idea of random rock formations might be a good option.

Good luck with your decision. You have to do what is right for you!!! And believe me.... I feel for you! I struggle with big decisions!

Take care.
Suz.

Understood everyone. I have a feeling this will come down to a tear out and re-install. I've told my pool installer that we are ONLY ok with the pool, NOT being reset, if both he and San Juan give me an "extended" warranty, going beyond the scope of their normal warranty. This is what I emailed him:

1. San Juan Pools will guarantee the pool against cracking, fracturing, leaking, fiberglass crazing or blemishing for 25 years. Pool installer to provide pool guarantee in writing, including parts and labor. If the pool needs to be repaired, the pool installer will work with San Juan to repair or replace the pool at no cost (parts or labor) to us, or future homeowner. We need this in our hands before we will consider any other options aside from re-setting the pool.

2. We would prefer the pool to be re-set in the ground, within standard (and inspected by San Juan). However, if you don't want to do that, we are open to another solution that would make the high area UNDETECTABLE. We are not talking about a tile disguise or water fountain that would "distract" your eye from seeing it. We are only interested in a solution that makes the high spot un-measurable and not visible. At this time we are researching the possibility of raising the pool deck in that ~8ft area, and extending tile up and out of the water at least a foot above the water surface. We don't prefer this solution (we would rather the pool be re-set), but it is the only thing we can think of as a potential fix, and I'm not even sure it will work on a fiberglass pool. The feature needs to look like it belongs, needs to look practical and functional, and wasn't a patch job or after-thought.

So here is where we are now. San Juan says they will still warranty the pool, but they aren't going to go above and beyond their normal warranty, so it is all on the pool builder. If I pull the cover off the pool in the spring and see gelcoat cracking, it's on him. So if he doesn't want to reset the pool, that's fine, as long as he provides a primo warranty (which covers everything, parts, labor, at no cost to me) above and beyond what San Juan provides. My reasoning for this is because I feel the pool is under stress. We should not have to take on the added risk of fiberglass fracturing or crazing / cracking. He tells me it's ok, and the pool is not under stress. BS. I'm not dumb. If he wants to leave it as is, the risk is his, not mine. So if he does provide me a new warranty in writing, I'll have my lawyer look at it to make sure it's legit.

If he pulls this pool out of the ground, it will take him weeks, and cost him thousands (I would guess $15-$20K including concrete). I'm not a pool installer, but in my opinion, if he TRULY thinks the pool isn't under stress, then he is better off writing an extended warranty, and spending a few thousand on a tile wall and water feature, and then hoping it doesn't crack!

Next week, he is bringing over a company that specializes in water features. He some of my above pictures are do-able. As I said, I will not move forward with any plan until I have a signed warranty in my hands and a sketch up or pictures of what the solution will look like. We won't accept anything that looks like an afterthought or looks cheesy. We have a pretty "plain" looking set up, nothing fancy, so it needs to follow the theme.

There are fake rock waterfalls made of fiberglass that hang over the edge of the pool down closer to the water level. They are spray painted to look like natural rock. We had a small one at our previous house but I have seen larger ones.

First of all, you are dealing with a business ending catastrophe. AS IT SHOULD BE.

You got shafted by a pool builder who is incompetent. First of all, you need to find out what the parameters are for the local and state codes for swimming pools, and what the contractor's board will do to protect you. Then you are going to have to sit him down and break the news to him that he is going to have to fix it to withing the spec's required, and you don't care that he has to sell his Beemer and boat to do it.

Tell it like it is: "I want the pool plumb and level per our agreement, period.". He is not your friend. You hired him to do a job the way it was supposed to be done.You are the victim of his incompetence, and you have to deal with it. You have to answer your friends comments "Dude, your pool isn't level!", not him.

Give him a few days to come up with a plan. Resist the temptation to be kind and gentle. Be courteous, but be strong. It painful for him too. But if he did it right it wouldn't be!

Then file a complaint with the contractors board.

VERY good points!

There was a build that went WAY wrong a while ago. The PB has since changed his company name two (2) times already! NO recourse for the PO so far. He is using a lawyer but...........now he has a pool that the kids cannot use the slid and MUD floods into his pool every time it even things about raining :(

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just don't understand your hesitation to have the pool re-leveled? Are you trying to be a nice guy? Are you so adverse to having your life disrupted for another month? I guess I don't see what interests you are trying to balance by making an agreement to accept a non-conforming pool. Is there something more you've not shared? Because the consensus here has been unanimous: re-level the pool, but you don't seem to want to accept that. If this is indicative of the quality of this guy's work, he won't be in business much longer, making an extended warranty worthless. By the way, I don't think it will cost him $15-20k to redo the job. Might be what he'd charge someone for that work, but that's not his cost.

I'm going to say one last time because I feel so strongly you are about to make a huge mistake: make the guy install the pool correctly!

I know you guys are right. I need to have it re-set in the ground.

Yes, part of me is trying to be a "nice guy", and yes the other part is that I do not want him in my back yard for another month. Our thinking is that if there is a solution outside of resetting the pool, and he will warranty it, then I should consider it. But the more I think about it, and the more reassurance I get from everyone here, we're really looking to pull the plug on this and tell him to start over.

The builder probably has installation liability insurance.

It best to convince him to correct it. (I don't think he can eliminate his liability by closing and reopening under a different name with the same license.)

Just straight out ask him, "Don't you have insurance for installations that go bad".

BTW, this is a construction defect claim, not really a warranty claim, IMO.

You could also quietly ask another pool builder for an opinion, but if you do, don't divulge it to anyone except your lawyer if it gets to that point.

I commend you for trying to be reasonable with the PB. I truly do - there isn't enough of that in the world. But in this instance, there isn't a lesser involved alternative. The only reasonable thing here is to have the pool re-leveled. I'm glad to see you're beginning to come around to this way of thinking. I watched your time lapse video. You can see the guys checking for level around the 2:05 mark, but after they added the substrate (gravel or whatever it is), they didn't recheck for level!! Then in the next clip - where the pool is being craned in, they've got the leveling equipment out, but I don't see any images of them using it after the pool was set in! I don't know if the master video is real-time or also time lapse, but you might want to look at it to see if you can see the guys check for level after the substrate was added and then again after the pool was craned in. From the time lapse, it looks like this step was completely missed, but maybe it's just not shown. Please look into this - it could be your best evidence of negligence should push come to shove.

My largest concern is that a warranty from a PB is close to worthless. Sacramento lost 45 pool contractors since 2008. None of them, as far as I am aware -- even the survivors --- are well capitalized. As far as I am aware none have any form of completed products insurance. Sure several have been around for a long time but there is no guaranty that they will be around next week. Even the national pool builders are almost all really just franchises or licenses -- they are not the same company -- they are more like joint marketing groups.

Resetting the pool means jacking up the concrete border, hand digging out the fill -- removing the plumbing -- and pulling up the pool. There are plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong there. Just getting the crane to lift the pool could be problematic. (Iv'e probably left out a step. Then you have to put it all back.

Neither choice stands out as great. But the repair choice puts the risk on the PB -- the warranty route puts the risk on you. That is your choice.

A few questions keep floating across my mind....

* Is this PB competent enough to redo it as the ground is now after all of this?

* Will a redo include a new pool? If not, has the current pool been compromised?

* I would want a redo, but is there any way to insure a successful build with this PB?

I'm sorry, for some reason, I can't back to page 1 to see if this has already been discussed.
Suz.

A few questions keep floating across my mind....

* Is this PB competent enough to redo it as the ground is now after all of this?

* Will a redo include a new pool? If not, has the current pool been compromised?

* I would want a redo, but is there any way to insure a successful build with this PB?

I'm sorry, for some reason, I can't back to page 1 to see if this has already been discussed.
Suz.

SUZ!!!!! I have NOT even thought of them trying to reuse the pool! WOW that is a big thing to think about for sure.

I did think about PB part of it and would be kind of worried about that part also.

If only ................:(

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.