Bermuda Grass: Anyone Know About Different Varieties?

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
We have common Bermuda invading my front lawn, and taking over the dirt that is our backyard construction zone. I have fought a battle with it for years, but think it is time to surrender.

We are considering doing hybrid Bermuda in the back and have two options.

Tifway sod @ .47 a sq. ft ($517)
Princess 77 seed @ $50-$100 for seed

Covering a 1,100 sq ft lawn. I know Bermuda is invasive, and aggressive. Thus why we have been pulling it, spraying it, and cursing it for years. But I understand these new hybrid varieties are nice.

Anyone know the difference between the two? Any reason sod would be worth the extra cost?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the princess grass, so I cannot say, but both will require lots of watering to get them going.

- - - Updated - - -

My mom planted tiff when we were growing up. Instead of rolling it all out to touch, she cut the sod pieces into 1x1 ft plugs and it all grew together with time.

Going with sod in some form of tiff is the ticket. There are a few varieties out there that do good in full sun or partial shade. There's a tif variety called celebration (used to be called bobsod) that is nice, and also a newer one called tifgrand that does well. If your putting it in just plan ahead with your sprinkler system and I'd suggest the newer pop up rotators that can even be retrofitted on existing pop up heads. You water longer in time but waste less water to runoff due to the lower precipitation rate. My lawn is my 30 mins of tranquilly a week so I'm really into it.
8a73c415c51c2e09bce61e39ba89756b.jpg
My front lawn in the summer. That's a sod called tifsport which is no longer avail to the public. Only sold to tpc golf courses now.
61b01d18c9dc0c48ee123cc3a55a99b7.jpg
Over seeded with rye for the winter.
bf0a215657c149d40aa52b33f0426348.jpg
My Parrents back yard, I used celebration due to shade issues.

I will add a Photo of my bermuda, here in OK its grows like crazzy... I know most places hate it.... Put some fertilizer with iron down and it will turn the most beauty of a light to med green... give it water 2 times a week and it will love it.. :)

the only problem is when the temps get below 50 degrees or so it will hibernate and turn brown :(

We have had bermuda invade both of our small front lawns - one is now being converted to a xeriscape garden, the other is probably going to be killed off and replanted with a partial shade low water grass.

We are going to put in a new lawn in the back, next to the new pool, and are thinking of trying UC Verde Buffalo grass - it grows from plugs and spreads in a few months. IF you have full sun it might be a good choice to look into as it is very low water use and when mowed is a nice lawn. We are not sure we have enough full sun for it - part of the area we want lawn is next to a south west facing fence.

here are the pictures I promised of that bad Bermuda grass :)

This is cut at 3 inches, it looks way better at 2 inches but needs more water at that height..

3VTgb3eh.jpg

3VTgb3eh.jpg

Wow, I had no idea there had been so many replies! Thanks guys!

Casey, Thanks for sharing the photo! It looks good at 3 inches! I think if we are going to keep it to two, I will have to suck itSant up and help with the mowing around here.

SantaCruz - I had looked into buffalo grass, but honestly I just feel like I will never really get rid of the bermuda invasion. We have used round up, dug down to pull up huge piles of the root/rhizomes, and the stuff just keeps coming back. This is a 5 year battle. I weep when I look at my poor fescue lawn up front. Between the bermuda and the gophers it is a sad mess.

Carpainter - Where did you get the rye from? We are inland north San Diego, so other than a few coolish months we are sunny and warm all year round. I don't mind if it goes dormant, but you have my interest peaked now. We have a sprinkler system in. Other than the heavy initial watering, we are required to keep our water use to three times a week for 7 minutes per station.

AZ - We are on a time crunch now, as my daughters 4th birthday party is the end of next month. I am really not looking forward to dragging 1,100 sq ft of sod from my front driveway into the back, but that is all that time allows for.

Thanks again guys for all the info!!

meganv, did they tell u sod will do well? i'm trying to decide between sod, seed, or hydroseed. none of it sounds easy this time of year in phoenix. in CA will u be allowed to water the heck out of it like u'll need to to get it started? won't it die if u only water it 3 xs/week for 7 minutes each time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Outdoorsgal,

When I called the sod company, they said the hybrid breed they sell would be alright. But to be honest I haven't asked the specifics. We have a well designed sprinkler system, with good overlay from one spray head to the next. But I know I will have to water 48 hrs before, and water at least 2 times a day for the first week. I've considered doing 5 minutes a station, so we only exceed the 7 minutes slightly, and possibly cutting water to the established front to make up for the extra use in the back for a few days.

Hydro seed, and seed are EXTREMELY water heavy. I just know my kids are constantly sneezing and covered in dirt when they play in the back, as it is all dirt and weeds. I need to do something, so they can enjoy it.

I'd say over 50% of our yard is hardscaped, so I don't feel bad about spending a little water on this patch of green. My neighbors may hate me when they see sod delivered though.

meganv, no need to reply if u don't want, but why would your neighbors hate u when they see the sod? because they r trying to conserve water or cuz it looks unsightly to have a pile of sod in the front yard or something? i can't believe how cheap water is in our desert. was prob $70 to fill a 1500 gallon pool! i still try to conserve, though, but am also looking forward to grass for the kids. i can't keep the pool clean. there's always dirt in it. still have to do edging and sprinklers, first, though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.