New blue blob pool -combined chlorine question

Jun 30, 2015
Mountainburg, AR
Brand new pool owner here, excuse the ignorance please...I set up a 12' x 30" summer escapes blue blob on Saturday. I have gotten the water fairly balanced (fc 4, pH 7.2, alk 100). However, I bought a new test kit that is supposed to give combined chlorine results also (by checking the color of fc test after 5 minutes instead of within first 10 seconds). The scale of this test only goes up to a 3. My FC is a bit brighter than 3 so I'm guessing it's a 4. After 5 min, there is no change whatsoever in color. In fact, over two hours later still no change. My first question is, do you feel as though this result is accurate? It is a simple test kit purchased from a true value hardware store (NOT dip sticks though). And if this result is likely to be accurate, how should I proceed? I'm trying to use the BBB method as much as possible. However I did buy a container of HTH shock (labeled for pop up pools). I have bleach on hand but don't know that I have quite enough to slam with. I have not added cya yet, as i was told by a friend i shouldnt use that product until everything is where it needs to be.

So... should I shock? If so...better to do at night? Is it safe for my kids to swim today? Should I make a trip for more bleach instead of using HTH shock? Any advice appreciated. I would continue to search for answers online but have a 8 month old and 3 year old, therefore, my free time is limited. Lol

Another area of confusion is trying to determine exactly how many gallons of water I'm treating. The pool fill line only allows for 24 inches of water. The bottom is 12', but blow up ring at top is less than 10 feet. The manual says max capacity of 1586, but other places online where they are selling this pool show a capacity of 1471 and even 1356. So I don't know what to go off of. Been using 1500 in the meantime.

Thank you!

Yes, I did. Thanks. The link to tell me water capacity was a bad link. I didn't really find much info regarding combined chlorine. And since posting I have learned that the chlorine tablets I'm trying to use up, have some stabilizing effect to them. (Will use bleach only once thise are gone). So I have added half of the recommended dose of stabilizer to a tube sock in the water. Will retest in a week and go from there. Still wondering if I should shock due to no change in the color of my cc test compared to fc results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.