New Pool Build -- 24' Steel pool

Mar 19, 2015
Ward, AR
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We are in the beginning stages of installing our new-to-us pool. It is a 24' Artesian Echo Canyon II with 54" walls.

We have begun leveling the ground with the tractor. We have clay where it is going to be. It drains very poorly and is already squishy in spots (old trees?) that was there when we scraped away the top soil. Do we need to add anything to this to help with drainage? Should we install a french drain around the edge? It is in an area that is close to where our land naturally drains during a heavy rain.

Our plan was to level the ground, put down this heavy duty plastic sheeting that the previous owners had down, 2" minimum of sand, then liner. 12" pavers leveled with the ground under the supports and the wall track would be on the clay itself.

Any suggestions? Should we put down some kind of stone for drainage so water around the pool wall due to the poor soil drainage?

Hello! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about the install. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Our ground is clay also. Our pool was put together by an installer, but they just laid the sand right over the clay. Because my yard was so uneven the back of the pool looks like it is buried about a foot and a half. I did lay a drain pipe in the trench and covered it in rock and then mulch. I don't really know if it does anything our not but it makes it look nice. It's been that way for 8 yrs. so it must be doing ok. Good luck with your install and enjoy your pool!

OK, so the pool is up. Should finish filling by tomorrow afternoon. I threw some old diclor/triclor (don't remember which) pucks in a floater since my kids have been playing in it. Other than that, I haven't done anything to the water. I don't plan to use pucks after it is filled. Just wanted something in there since my kids haven't been able to stay out of it.

I tested the water today just to see what I was starting with.

pH = 7.4 --- but if the test sat for 5-10 seconds, it would change to the 7.2 color. Is that normal, is 7.2 the true value?
TA = 30
CH = 50 --- expected a much higher number because we have relatively hard water.

I didn't test chlorine or CYA because I know there wasn't any in there. I plan to test tomorrow once the fill is completed so see if the pucks have added any chlorine/CYA to it. I bought 8.5% bleach, Borax, and CYA (4 lbs). I have pH plus that I used with my old Intex pool. Should I use this to increase pH or are the non-bicarb ingredients going to add stuff that I don't need to my pool?

So, what's my next step? Want to get this right the first time!

Congrats on getting the pool up and going! Our pool also sits on a sand bed atop a clay base and because our backyard slopes in every direction where the pool is, we installed a french drain all the way around it. Works well so far. :)

If it were me, my next order of business would be to put the CYA in a stocking in front of the return (adding the whole 4 lbs should get you to 40-42 from zero according to PoolMath for your volume of water). Using 40 for your CYA numbers, your target level for bleach is 3-5. Personally, I would aim for the high side so I round up to 6 to make sure it never dips to the minimum. PoolMath says 1 gal of 8.25% will get you to 6 so that's pretty simple to start with. Add your container of CYA and a gallon of bleach and you're up & running! :)

As far as the pH goes, I'd leave it alone until the CYA dissolves completely. I don't use chems to raise my pH. Instead, I point the return to the surface and bubble the water to aerate it and raise the pH that way and then use Muriatic acid to bump it down should it get over my target of 7.5 (from rain or something).

Enjoy your pool! :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.