Intex SWG 15,000 - initial startup question

tbeth

Jun 30, 2015
Elizabethtown, KY
We just put up a new 24ft x 52 inch intex pool. We have the intex 3000 sandfilter and the 15,000 swg model 28669EG. I have read through pool school and the SWG chemistry information on here and know I need to order the recommended test kit. We've never owned a pool before, so everything is new to us. We set our pool up, filled it up, added the salt and ran the filter, added the stabilizer in a sock (we have it hanging on a pool noodle), and have began running the boost cycle yesterday evening.
Per the manual that came with our swg, it states on the operating instructions to start up the unit, input the # of hours your system needs to run...then the steps continue on to "Boost cycle". it says "First time installation...." and says to run the boost cycle. So I am assuming it meant to run the boost cycle first on start up. According to the chart for our pool size and temperature for this area, the swg would need to run for 6-7 hours daily. On the boost cycle for this model, the manual states that the boost operating time is 8 times the amount of time programmed into the system. So for us that would be 48-56 hours. I currently have it set it on 7 hours because of the temperatures our area have been having during the day, so that would we 56 hours for the boost cycle. That seems like a long time and I just wanted to make sure I am interpreting the directions correctly. I am confused as to whether I should have just started the unit up and ran it for 7 hours or was I correct to run the boost cycle first. Once the cycle is over, the system should revert back to the normal 7 hrs/day that I input. The only test strips I have at the moment are the ones that came with the pool, or I can run some water to the local pool store to be tested for free. I was going to wait until the boost cycle finished to test the water. I also should not expect the CYA to show up on any test until next week correct?
Also, I have read some negative things about the boost cycle on here and the copper. So now I am worried :(. Is the copper dangerous or just an unnecessary step? Do you all advise against running the boost cycle at all? If so, should I just turn off the boost cycle and run it normally?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP. You are correct you do need to order a recommended test kit.

As for the SWG.... You need to make sure salt if fully dissolved before turning unit on. Once you know it is fully dissolved then you can run it 7 hours. You did not have to run boost mode. You can add bleach to bring up FC and then the SWG should help maintain the FC level.

Copper is not harmful per se. It will cause blonde hair to turn green though and can cause staining. Most of us unplugs the copper bars

I have also purchased the Intex Krstalclear Model 28669EG, (I think the model number was recently changed to ECO8110) but have not installed it. From my research and reading reviews, this unit has no copper bars in it. It uses Electrocatalytic Oxidation instead of the copper bars according to the online owners manual. I have not opened mine yet as I am redoing some of my plumbing and have not added the necessary bags of salt during this monsoon season in Ohio.

Thanks for the responses!
AzGirl71, yes we let the salt dissolve before turning on the swg.
DrC, I believe you are right. I am so new to all of this, I just saw people warning of the copper with intex swg's and didn't realize there were any differences in them (besides for different pool sizes and the one that uses ozone ). I checked my user manual and it does say E.C.O.- and says the boost feature is what starts the E.C.O. as well as more chlorine sanitizer production. After doing a quick search on here, I found a few other ppl mentioning the eco units do not have the copper but can't find much information on it. The manual states that ECO is an advanced oxidation process that generates hydroxyl radicals, which are powerful oxidants to oxidize contaminants and destroy bacteria and algae. I have read so many posts on here today it's all starting to blur together, but I do recall a woman saying the manual to her intex swg recommended testing the water for copper, and noticed that my manual did not mention that at all.
DrC, did you interpret the manual instructions to run the boost at initial start up?

tbeth

No I did not interpret it to mean that you have to run a boost cycle on start-up if your chlorine level is within proper range. I think they talk about the doing the boost cycle if you have no chorine and just put up a new pool. The wording is a little confusing at best.

DrC

That's how I am understanding it as well. If your levels are already established, then you should be able to just run the system normally. I just put a new pool up and we didn't add any bleach or anything to est. FC, so we've been running the boost cycle. The wording is confusing and I was concerned I wasn't understanding it correctly. Another thing I have noticed b/w this unit and what other ppl are saying about their intex swg boosts cycles is the time. I have seen people post about their boost cycles being 4 times the normal running time, but this units boost cycle is 8 times the normal running time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.