cloudy pool after pool turned green

Jun 28, 2015
Oak Forest IL
Ph 7.4
Chw 35
Free chlorine 5
Tc 5
Alk 100
I shocked my pool with liquid chlorine and it cleared up but is still cloudy. I put some clairfyer in and turned off filter. Once I vacum all the stuff it seems to get worse as i go. I also vacum every day and wash out the cartridge filter. My filter is is less than 1 year old. My pool is above ground 24ft round 54in deep with hayward tablet autofeeder set to 6. I've been fighting this problem for almost 2 weeks. The pool store says my levels are good too. I do not have a good testing kit but I trust my pool store because they haven't tried yett to sell me stuff I didn't need so far hehe. Any advice would be great

Hi, welcome to TFP! The pool store may be nice and not try to sell you stuff you don't need, but you don't know how accurate their testing is, and you did not include a test for CYA! CYA is a critical piece of information to determine if the pool has sufficient chlorine. You are using tablet on a high setting so I suspect your CYA level is going to be high. Our definition of good and the pool store's definition of good often do not match at all! This is why we recommend purchasing a test kit as an investment in your pool. You will be able to test under the same conditions around the same time of day using the same methods. This will yield consistent, reliable results so you can dose the pool correctly. We recommend a Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . Using a good, high quality test kit will help you take control of your pool.

please post your numbers when you recieve your kit... I bet your numbers are way off compared to the pool store... fi you have had that tablet feeder on 6 for more than this year you CYA is probably up way up there..

Ok picked up the taylor test kit.
Fc10
Tac 10
Ch 180
Cya 45
Ta 60
Ph 7.2
I had them test the water while I was there today also and the only dif is they had Cya at 50 ,TA 80 and ph 7.4
What ya guys think? We have been having a lot of rain also in chciago. I also shocked yesterday with 2 gal of liquid.

Skip the algaecide and SLAM that pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

The CYA scale is not linear, 45 is not directly in-between 40 & 50.

Refer to the Chlorine/CYA level chart & raise your FC to 20ppm (use 50ppm CYA reading). You need to MAINTAIN that FC level until you pass the 3 criteria need to complete a SLAM.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

You are done when:

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.

Once you satisfy those 3 requirements you can let your FC drift down to maintenance levels per the Chlorine/CYA chart.

Good luck, stick with it and you will have the clearest pool you have ever seen.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.