CC climbing

ernie01jt

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Smithton IL
Hi folks, I had a new liner installed June 17, my FC has never been below 4.0 with a CYA of 30 on June 25.
PH started out at 7.5 and is now 7.8 and holding since June 26.
June 29 numbers were:
Ph 7.8
FC 7.0
CC 1.5
TA 80
CYA 50
CH 125
Salt 4000 < I know it's high but it is coming down.
My concern is the CC had been holding at 0.5 from the start but then was 1.0 on June 28 has climbed to 1.5.
The pool water is crystal clear so I hope someone can give me an idea of what is going on and what to do.
Ernie

WOW! This is brand new water too. Hummmmmm Will you please do an OCLT tonight? THAT will help show if anything is brewing.

I would also push my FC up to SLAM level for a few days as well just in case something is trying to brew due to the new vinyl.

Kim

Hello Ernie. Well, a rising CC tends to indicate you may have some residual matter in your water. It's one of a few things we as pool owners look at to see if we have the on-set of an algae bloom coming. Your FC looks to have been at a good level, but sometimes things happen beyond our control or that we just don't realize. Not sure if your new liner has anything to do with that - it's possible. I would suggest doing an overnight test (OCLT). Check your FC at night before bed then again in AM before the sun rises to see if you lost any more than 1 ppm of FC. If you did, that would be an indicator you may need to SLAM. Now that your CYA is 50, your FC target is 6, so definitely keep it above that. If you do not lose FC overnight, the increased cc may just be residual from the liner and need a little time to get neutralized/filtered. We'll see if anyone else has a comment to add.

Also, your PH is on the high end, so you may want to bring that down by about 2-3 ppm. Have a great day!

Thanks Kim and Texas Splash,
I just shut off the SWG and will test tonight and in the morning. I added 4 pounds of powdered stabilizer yesterday after testing to raise my CYA level to the recommended 70 - 80 level on the chart for vinyl liner/ SWG pool.
Will this affect my tests tonight?

You should not turn off your SWG. You will only turn it off at night for the OCLT.
You want to keep your FC above your minimum level according to your CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

Since you also added CYA yesterday, you need to take that into account and have your FC to the level with the new CYA addition.

That's correct about the SWG - turn it off tonight before you take your starting FC reading. Tomorrow morning you will check to see how the pool maintained that FC on its own. And adding stabilizer yesterday should not effect tonight/tomorrow morning's OCLT. Good luck!

Get fC up around 10 for OCLT. Is there any chance that there was some algae brewing in the filter while the liner was getting replaced? Let's see what oclt says and the hold FC higher to knock out whatever is causing the CC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi folks,
Todays numbers not adding anything, water taken midway between shallow and deep ends, inverting bottle to fill down in pool as far as I can reach and covering as I take it out(thanks MarianParoo)
CYA 60 same
FC 11.0 up 1.0
CC 0.5 down ).5
TA 80 same as yesterday
Salt 4200 same as yesterday
CH 125 same as yesterday
PH 7.8 same as yesterday
pool 79 degrees
I'm headed to Menards for more stabilizer, pool math says 27 ounces powder will raise CYA to 70 and lower my PH to 7.5. which is where I need to be for vinyl and SWG
Ideas on my roller-coaster CC levels?
Ernie

Hi wjr75, Yes I have a speedstir and ran CYA, FC, and CC twice.
I don't know all that much but the pool is clear, sparkling blue, and doesn't smell like chlorine. Hopefully someone will see this and have some experience with this.
Ernie

Hi folks, Happy Fourth of July! Especially those who are serving or have served in our Military.
July 2 numbers:
CYA 60
FC 10
CC 1.0
TA 80
Salt 4200
CH 125
PH 7.8
Todays numbers:
CYA 60
FC 13 <had the SWG on too high, I must have Read it wrong after I did the OCLT
CC 0.0 <WOOHOO!!
TA 80
Salt 4200
CH 125
PH 7.8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.