New member...new pool owner

Jun 30, 2015
Estill Springs, TN
Hi all. I am a first time pool owner and am just getting my feet wet. I started my pool in May with trichlor tablets and the "recommended" weekly "shock". I am on my way to order my test kit but for now have been depending on strip and the OTO and pH test from Walmart. I am trying to take all this in to prevent any bad stuff from happening...so far my water looks good but would like to know it is good too. TX

Hello and welcome to TFP! You are making a good decision to take control on your own. Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart. So for now, I would encourage you to remove any tablets/pucks, and only use bleach because those pool store products raise your CYA (stabilizer) to a dangerous level. Until your kits arrives, simply pour about 1 gallon of regular liquid bleach in your pool each evening after sunset.

All the street talk about "weekly shock" and pool products is hogwash. We show you how to maintain your water 24/7, 365 days a year the way it should be. Good you're breaking away from that now before troubles set in. Not sure which test kit your ordered (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006), but when it arrives, make sure to post some numbers and we'll help keep you straight. Also, make sure to review the links you se below in my sig as they have everything there you need to know. If you ever have a question, just ask. :) Welcome to TFP!