Very small hole vinyl liner deep

I sure am glad that we have these physics majors on hand. Last weekend I proved that it was against the laws of physics to place a 3 inch piece of carpet tape on the bottom of a swimming pool with a 10 foot stick. I must have attempted this 20 or 30 times over the course of about an hour. I concluded beyond the shadow of doubt that it was a physical impossibility.
I walked away in frustration and before the tears could even dry from my eyes my wife had somehow overcome the equations of gravity, bouyancy, pressure, adhesion, and diffraction to place this piece of tape over the hole. In a complete act of sarcasm and defiance she evne added second strip to form a cross over the leak. She did this in about 10 minutes and she wont tell me how she did it.
I've lost a lot of sleep over this. Maybe you folks can figure it out. I know what she had to work with:
1. A 10 foot hollow pole
2. A roll of pretty good carpet tape.
3. A small black dog. (The dog was dry when I reentered the scene but looked guilty)

Please help me out!! How did she do this???

My best guess is that she took some wax paper or other non-sticky paper and covered part of the side of the tape that was facing and would stick to the pipe, possibly doing this in segments. So if half or less of the pipe side of the tape was sticking to the pipe strongly, then when it was placed at the pool bottom, the side facing the pool had more sticky than the side attached to the pipe so would more easily come off with some rocking motion. Either that, or she's just better than you at some things. :-D

Richard

sjoefl01 said:
3. A small black dog. (The dog was dry when I reentered the scene but looked guilty)

Please help me out!! How did she do this???

Glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read that. Since I'm nowhere near as funny as you guys, I'll just tell you what I would have tried...

1. Stick half the tape's length around the bottom of the pole, leave the other half like a hanging flap (If the tape was 3", then 1.5" on the end of the pole and 1.5" hanging off)
2. Push pole to bottom of pool, let hanging tape contact bottom at desired location and push pole down to secure that half.
3. Slowly roll the pole to let it peel off the remaining tape
4. Use the end of the pole to smooth and secure the tape.

Either that, or she just did some woman-thing. Remember, Nature created them to live a lifetime of outwitting and controlling their bigger, stronger, male counterparts in ways scientists don't fully understand.

Ok, I understand the physics behind the hose so I thought I would ask the wife how long the hose really was. You know how over time you exaggerate things like how big your fish really was when you caught it, well this was the case. I am 6'2" so the hose only had to be about 3' long she said. That is why she had to hand onto the hose she said. Yes it was very difficult to breath, but I did manage to make it work for the short time that I was under the water.

She also said that I probably was only under for about 30-40 seconds. Whoops, again overexaggeration. My bad! :oops:

All in all, I guess I made my crappy setup work as she also said it was only down about 4' not the entire 8' so again my bad. Need to be sure my facts are straight first.

All in all, I probably would not try it again, but anger and many beers made me do stupid things as well.

The wife got a good laugh as when I was done, she let go of the hose and was rolling on the grass with laughter at me. Oh well, not one of my proudest moments by far, but I guess it was funnier than he!!.

I think there is a "You might be a redneck......" joke somewhere in this thread.

This is a very funny thread with a serious note........ya'll probably saved my life as, after a few brewski's, I would've thought these all to be good ideas.

I just wouldn't have the courage to let my wife hold the hose. :shock: :shock:

My buddy came by this morning with some tanks and a wet suit. He is recently certified and was dying to get in the pool. He rented some gear.
The water is about 55 degrees on the top and after he jumped in he realized he could not stay down long enough to set the patch.
The poor guy was really embarrassed for some reason. The only thing that surprised me was that he was willing to go in the first place. The tape is holding and the hole is small.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gtm said:
P.S. The wife keeps asking why I swam to the top still carrying the Homer bucket full of bricks. When I explain that I didn't want to drop them and risk dinging the new fiberglass surface, she just gives me "that look". But I'm sure you all will agree with me about that part, right?

Women... :roll: They just don't understand sometimes...I'm with you, brother!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.