Concrete Coping Issues, Possible Leak and More! Oh boy, WHAT TO DO?

Anirob

Jun 30, 2015
La Verne CA
Hello!

This is my first post and would love any suggestions, ideas, or comments. I tend to be "wordy" and give way too much information when I tell a story :eek: so in an attempt to not do that, I will do my best to keep it short by using bullet points to explain the issues and my questions:confused:. I am also attaching pictures (probably too many, lol). I have spent countless hours researching to determine possible options before I ask for estimates. I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall so I would love to hear your suggestions and ideas!

The Issues (7-year-old Pool/Spa with salt water system):

• Concrete edges around the spa and few parts around pool are crumbling away (from the salt water or from poor concrete construction - or both ???)
  • Pebble bottom has spots that look "faded"
  • Natural rock above tile has faded.
  • Pool seems to have a leak.
  • Pool lights no longer work (electrical issue).

Questions:

• Is it possible to cut and remove the concrete edging on the pool and replace with another type of coping (rock, etc.)? (I'm sure the entire spa concrete will need to be completely redone.)
  • Is it possible to have the pebble finish resprayed or something -- or would it be necessary to remove existing finish and apply a new finish?
  • How are leaks found? A friend noticed that our skimmer (I think that's what it's called) was installed crocked and suggested it may have a crack. Could that be possibly be the problem?
  • We don't particularly like the way our deck looks. So if it's possible to remove the pool edges and replace with coping, we are considering having the existing deck resurfaced to give it a "facelift". I've seen a few techniques, products, etc. online but not sure what would work, which is best, who is best, etc? Any suggestions, comments or ideas?

Other Things to Consider:

• Our existing patio area which is adjacent to our pool deck is gross - was not redone when pool was constructed (too much $$$). Hoping to have this area resurfaced. There are about 7 sections of concrete in this area - not all the same finish, color, etc. and I'm sure there are some repairs that would need to be made. I'm hoping to find someone who can creatively redesign and resurface this area to avoid tearing out the concrete and starting over. Again, does anyone have input about concrete resurfacing?

As you may have guessed, we are doing our homework to explore options and spend our dollars wisely! Again, I appreciate your input. Thank you! ~ Anita

P.S. I've tried for several hours today to get this to post and to upload pictures. I'm hoping this post goes through but I'm not going to be able to attempt the picture uploads right now. I will come back later or tomorrow morning to see if the site is fixed so I can upload the pics. Thanks.

Anita

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Is it possible to cut and remove the concrete edging on the pool and replace with another type of coping (rock, etc.)? (I'm sure the entire spa concrete will need to be completely redone.) Yes, it's quite possible. A picture will be helpful to get a better idea of the materials used.

Is it possible to have the pebble finish resprayed or something -- or would it be necessary to remove existing finish and apply a new finish? Can't overspray the finish. You can perhaps clean up the one you have or get a new (pricey) plaster job.

How are leaks found? A friend noticed that our skimmer (I think that's what it's called) was installed crocked and suggested it may have a crack. Could that be possibly be the problem? Are you losing water for certain? Do you have an autofill device?

We don't particularly like the way our deck looks. So if it's possible to remove the pool edges and replace with coping, we are considering having the existing deck resurfaced to give it a "facelift". I've seen a few techniques, products, etc. online but not sure what would work, which is best, who is best, etc? Any suggestions, comments or ideas? Depends entirely on the condition and type of your deck.....pictures are probably necessary for this one to be answered.

Anita:

I would go to a couple of home shows in your area and talk to several contractors. All of what you are talking about can be done. There are several ways to do most of these things and no one way is best. Much depends on the skill of your contractor -- and what he is trying to sell. Even if you were going to DYI it I would have several contractors out to look at it give you bids and samples of their work with references. With pools its best to have three different contractors look at it -- its amazing the different solutions you will get.

There is a pool school article on here about pool leaks -- you should read that and then decide if you want to fix it yourself or hire someone. On pools I go to the old guys pool store describe my problem and ask who they would have look at it I come away with a couple of names. There are leak detection companies that are reasonably priced. You can just google one for your area if you can't get a reference.

Pool lights -- unless you are handy and want to spend the time -- you might want an electrician with experience on pools. If the pool is old replacing the lights can be -- well we will just call it --fun. If fairly new then there are youtube videos that do a good job of showing the basics of how to replace lights for someone with basic electrical knowledge. If the pool is old you may want an experienced electrician to look at it anyway -- there may be some simple work he can do to make it safer like installing GFI breakers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.