DIY Vinyl Pool Build in Oklahoma

Jun 26, 2015
Duncan, OK
We are getting ready to start on a new pool, and I needed some advice on pump and filter size. We are putting in an 18x40 vinyl liner rectangle pool. There is a possibility of having a cozy cove swimout with jets, but that is still up in the air. We are crunching numbers. ;) There will be no other water features. We are not getting an automatic cleaner at this time, but I would like to get a robot later on. I have read on here that a 2 speed pump is the way to go, so I have been looking at those. With that pool size, would I want a 1.5 hp or 2hp? We were looking at a Hayward super pump 2 speed. Is that a good pump?
Also, are there advantages of going up to a 27" or 30" Hayward sand filter from a 24"? Thank you for your help!

You do not give the depth of the pool, but on average a 1.5HP pump is just fine for that size pool. 2 Speed pumps pay for themselves rather quickly and I would suggest you get one.....the Hayward pump is fine.

Maybe the most important thing you can do is get the 30" sand filter. There are many advantages and no disadvantage other than the initial price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.