Conversion questions

Just patience and continued effort at this point. The fc is burning out the baqua which is the cause of the fc and the fc going down. Keep adding chlorine as often as possible to adjust fc to 15. Keep filter on unning and backwash as needed.
Just hang around n there and you'll make it!

Pool is clear sparkling blue...but still losing FC....lost 7 ppm last night....used the calculator and added bleach as indicated, two hours later had lost an additional 3 ppm? Just used the calculator and added recommended dosage again. Will retest in an hour or so....I am going to remeasure the pool again to make sure the size is right....its hard to be exact because it is irregularly shaped.

So wait a second,

You tested and got a result. You then dosed using PoolMath to a level that SHOULD have got you to 15. Instead you tested and only got 9??

Am I reading this correctly??

Yes! Last night before I went to bed, FC 17, CC 1, this morning @ 8:30 FC 10, CC 1.5 - did pool math and dosed the pool. Tested at 11:30 FC dropped to 7, CC 1. Did pool math and dosed again. Retested at 2 pm FC 9 CC 1....Pool looks great - but according to the conversion instructions this shouldn't be happening. PH 7.3, ALK 150 (a little high?) CYA 20 (I was using some chlorine tablets in the beginning - guessing that where the CYA came from)

CYA 20 (I was using some chlorine tablets in the beginning - guessing that where the CYA came from)

Ah ha!!!
The conversion is designed to be done with zero CYA. Adding CYA will alter your progress and what needs to be done to complete the process. Just what needs to be done differently, I'm not sure just yet. Right now the two older ones are murdering each other so let me go tape them to a wall and I'll write back with a plan for you to proceed.

Also, you weren't using the CDX system were you?

Yes....CDX is part of the Baquacil System....I used through the end of last season. I am following the Baquacil conversion instructions. When I started, I was following instructions from another pool group that said to go slow....adding a 3" chlorine tab to start....I added one...It turned a little green, but not enough to concern....so I added another before bed....when I woke up I had all kinds of colors....that is when I decided to follow your method. When I did the initial testing using an HTP test kit, I got a CYA of 0. This is the first time I have tested CYA since...maybe I should retest to be sure. The pool is crystal clear blue...any chance I can change the filter sand and let the chlorine drop to a normal level to see if I can maintain?

Tested at 7:30 pm FC 6, CC 1, CYA around 25

Without an exact pool volume, it's hard to calculate the exact amount of CYA in the water, but two pucks should not raise it that far. I think the major problem here is the Baquacil CDX algaecide. Experience on this forum has shown that when CDX is present, the conversion can take quite a bit longer. You seem to have pretty clear water and it looks like you're still fighting the Baquacil a bit. The best course of action is to maintain the 15ppm FC as best you can until the CC's subside. Maintenance is the key as letting the FC level drop below 15ppm only slows the process which is already hampered by the presence of CYA and the CDX algaecide. At this point, I would stay-the-course and continue with the conversion.

If you really feel like this is only going to go on forever, then the only other option is to drain the pool and start over. However, draining a pool is alway fraught with difficulty as you must ensure that the ground water levels is below the pool shell or else you can float the pool out of the ground. Also, with fiberglass pools, you typically need to brace the upper edges of the pool with cross beams to keep the pool shell from flexing inward since the shell relies on the water pressure to hold it against the ground. The manufacturer of the fiberglass shell should have instructions for how to brace the pool properly when it's drained.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mary,

krock just broke through the baquacil wall in his conversion - Started Baquacil Conversion - Page 3

He was going over a week with beautifully clear water, no CCs and .... a 5ppm or more overnight loss. We were all frustrated and ready to just push him to the next step when, BAM!, he held FC overnight.

Hang in there, there's light at the end of the tunnel and it's NOT an oncoming train....

I just ordered some more FC test chemical, just in case.

That's a good idea. You'll use it frequently after your conversion as you begin to learn your pool's chemistry. Eventually you'll get so confident in your testing that you'll know what your water needs just by looking at it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YAY! Chlorine held last night....I overshot a bit...so it was 18 when I went to bed and was still 18 this morning. Here's the numbers FC18, CC 1, PH 7.3, TA 140*, CH 150, CYA <20
TA was weird....HTH test indicates 140, the TFP test indicated 360? Yikes! We cleaned the filter and changed the sand on Monday....I thought maybe left over chemicals in the sand were holding me back.
I reread the instructions, just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. I am to add CYA to 30 and keep the pool at FC 15 until I get CC .5 for two days in a row? Do I need to check the FC levels continually through the day or can I check in the evening and bring it up to 15?

- - - Updated - - -

One more question....I know I have high levels of metal in the water because I am seeing some 'rust' spots....can I add a metal product now or do I need to wait? What product do you suggest?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.