Conversion questions

Jun 19, 2015
Seguin, TX
I am in the process of converting from Baquacil to Chlorine in a 13,500 gallon in-ground fiberglass pool. I am not sure what the Baqua level was when I started because our local pool store closed and all I had to use were Baqua Strips. I have added about 8 gallons of 10% Chlorine over the last three days. Current levels are Chlorine 2, PH 7.6, TA 120, Hardness 100 - No Cy Acid. The pool is a clear light green....looks kind-of inviting really :) but I am guessing I have a ways to go. I saw in several post that the recommendation is to take the Chlorine up to 15? What test will measure Chlorine 15? My 6-way only goes to 5. I did a long backwash and rinse yesterday (sand filter) and added fresh water to the pool to try to dilute baqua further, didn't see any goo, doesn't seem to be any algae present. Any suggestions appreciated.

IMG_1448.jpg :confused:
SaveSave

Re: Conversion questions

I'm in the process of converting my 14,000 gallon AGP from Baqua to Chlorine. Do yourself a favor and get a TF-100 test kit for the chlorine. And get more chlorine! I'm 4 or 5 days in, and have used about 40 gallons of 10%. I went home at lunch and checked and I had only lost about 4ppm FC since 6am.

I got a color change, but it was not real cloudy....it was a very clear gold that turned green as it spread.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I did read the article....I was unsure about the 15ppm of Chlorine and what to use to measure that....will it eventually stop turning green if I keep adding chlorine?

- - - Updated - - -

I will order the test kit, guessing it will take a few days to get here. Should I just keep adding chlorine in the meantime? I have 10 more gallons in the garage and Walmart is just a couple of miles away.

How high can you read with your current kit?
Sorry, missed that you had posted it.

As a rough estimate, you can dilute your pool water with filtered water. 2 parts filtered to 1 part pool. Use the mixture as your test water. Multiply the result by 3.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a very rough estimate but will work until you get the proper testkit.

- - - Updated - - -

Eventually you will start to see the pool turning Blue! The more you keep it up to 15, the faster it should go.

So far I have added about 20 gallons of 10% Bleach....water this morning was clear green (picture 1) TC = 3 (I am using HTH kit while waiting for recommended test I ordered) I haven't been able to get the chlorine up, but its not dropping either, PH 7.4,...when I get water to test, it is clear in the container (Picture 1). When I add more bleach (Picture 2), it turns a clear gold and then green. Is this normal for the conversion process? Could this be an algae bloom? or Copper in the water. I have had very high levels of metal in the water in the past...unfortunately the beautiful clay colored deck over is colored with iron and probably copper. Our pool store closed, I hate to drive 30 miles one way for a water test. Im' getting frustrated. Any Suggestions?

View attachment 58781View attachment 58782View attachment 58780

For starters, WELCOME TO TFP!!!

Before you get too frustrated let me ask this, when is your kit to arrive? Preforming a Baqua conversion without a FAS/DPD kit is a HUGE pain.....to the point I wouldn't even continue without one. Your water looks like your chlorine levels are low, which is to be expected at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yay! I got my kit today. Here are my numbers FC 15, CC 6, TC 21, PH 7.4....water is still bright green with some blue showing in the shallow areas. Will check numbers again in the morning. Hopefully making progress....

Day 7....FC dropped from 15 to 11 last night, CC is at 2.5....having a hard time keeping the FC up to 15 during the day...this is Texas, the sunshine state! Stopped getting a color change when adding bleach about 2 days ago. Notice a slight yellowish color when adding today. Am i going backwards? I backwashed yesterday. Have not changed the sand in the sand filter yet.

No...the conversion instructions don't say anything about adding CYA? I have some and can certainly add if it will help.

- - - Updated - - -

I see this:
  1. When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.
But I am not there yet....lost 4 ppm last night

I am adding and testing several times a day. Yesterday, I used the pool calculator twice to see how much chlorine I needed to add to bring it up to 15. I added that amount and checked an hour later - no change in the FC...added again...went up 1 ppm. In the evening added a double dose and finally got it up to 15.

If you have to add over the amount of bleach that pool math says it's possible your pool is larger than you think.

However, I count 4 days since your test kit came, it's likely more Pool Owner Patience is in order :)

True....I was counting days since I started adding chlorine. It seems like forever after testing 4-5 times a day. I think I have already gone through 40 gallons of Walmart Pool Chlorine. I am pretty sure about the size of the pool....when I add soda ash to adjust PH - calculations are just right. We just had a huge rainstorm....I am sure that won't help the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.