Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
Literally !!
461AF553-C870-45C0-8244-76A5875A3D3E_zpsg47ltsyv.jpg
8FFDB7E5-405C-4F8F-8AB1-B0FCA05AA553_zpsurvdibxv.jpg
Yes, that is bird poop. I must have skimmed out 6-10 of them every day for the past week.

Needless to say, the wife freaked out, thinks the pool is dirty. I explained to her that my FC to CYA has been consistently at or above target, she don't get it LOL. I tell her I will ease her mind and do an OCLT.

8:20pm Solar Blanket Off
FC 11.2ppm
CC 0.0ppm (stayed clear)

5:00am 66F
FC 10.0ppm (darn, -1.2ppm)
CC 0.4ppm

The pool has been clear & FC at or above target, but I noticed lately that it just didn't sparkle. Needless to say, as we type I am SLAMing the pool.

CYA 40 (pH rock steady at 7.4)
FC 18.5 (incase I lose more than 2.0ppm overnight)

I have a couple of questions.
1) Can I put my solar blanket on overnight? We've had a very unseasonal couple of days and the pool has lost 9-10 degrees. I'd like to keep further losses to a minimum. Would being covered effect an OCLT?

2) Ladder in or out? Right now it's out because I vacuumed & brushed really good. It's the plastic kind you fill with water. I dumped out the water that was in it & refilled with the SLAM water, which does not leak out. I was thinking it would be better to put it back in so it gets sanitized also.

Thanks,
Dom

Going to leave the cover off & ladder out for the night.

Start of OCLT
8:45pm
FC 18.5ppm (good start)
CC 0.5ppm

Of course filter pressure is up almost 10% already, probably from vacuuming earlier.

I forsee a 5:00am backwash LOL.

I'll post my morning #'s. My plan is that if I pass my OCLT tonight I will put the ladder back in and continue the SLAM for one more OCLT.

BTW- Ocean State Job Lot in the East Haven, CT area has fresh 12.5% (dated 6/23/15) for $2.99 / gallon.

Dom

Looks like the black birds called "grackles" found your pool. There's this cool in theory but not so cool in practice thing they do. The baby birds still in the nest do their "business" producing these lovely "sacs" of... Ewwwww.

Then mother bird kindly cleans the nest by picking up the poopy sacs and dropping them in nearby water.

Unfortunately for some of us that nearby water is our pool.

I've been dealing with it the past few years early in spring. Only positive thing I can say is that once the babies are out of the nest it stops until next year.

In the meantime it's really nasty. :( This year I left my leaf net on the pool until it was over. It kept most of the stuff from sinking to the bottom and I was able to use my skimmer to get it out every day. (Sometimes twice a day.)

Hopefully they'll go away soon for you and it's not just some random birds that want to hang out and poop in the pool. :)

That's pretty cool, too bad it's my pool! Hopefully it will stop soon.

Your "leaf net", is that a mesh cover?

Here are this morning's numbers:

4:30am
FC 16.5ppm (-2.0ppm)
CC 0.5ppm

I backwashed the filter and added 28oz of 12% (+4ppm), hopefully that's enough to hold me until I get home from work. I usually only have to add 2-3ppm daily so I hope that will cover it.

Day 2, here we go ........

Dom

So, worried that the strong sun today would burn off too much FC, I talked the wife into adding 16oz (+2.5ppm) of 12% at noon. Good thing, when I checked at 4:30pm I had FC at 16.0ppm, CC at 0.0ppm.

I brushed the pool, and brushed down & hosed off the ladder and put it back in. I refilled the ladder with slam level water again too. I'm going to go another night without the cover. I'll have to put it back on tomorrow night regardless of OCLT if I plan to warm it up enough for the long weekend. I picked up 6 degrees today, but it's going to be in the 60's again tonite :-(

Tonite I'll bump it up to 18-19ppm (lost 2.5ppm last night) again and do another OCLT. I'll also put 20oz of 12% in an empty chlorine jug to make it easy for the wife to put it in midday again.

Which me luck!

Edit:
8:45pm Start of OCLT
20.0ppm

Dom

Looks like the SLAM is successful!

4:30am 71F
FC 19.0ppm (-1.0ppm)
CC 0.5

Water is glass-clear.

I'm going to continue another 24 hours, I'm curious if the solar blanket will effect the OCLT, I'll put that back on this evening.

If tomorrow morning's test shows the same with the cover on I'll consider this SLAM complete.

Dom

Had the wife put 20oz of chlorine in around noon, 4:30pm check showed FC 16.0ppm, CC 0.0ppm.

Added 16oz for a 2ppm bump.

I forgot to mention that during the SLAM I have been drawing water from the skimmer & bottom of the pool. I made up a down tube to draw water off the bottom of the pool using 1-1/2" PVC.

C2EF52FD-82EA-4A95-A47F-3D6604A773C1_zpsv7hfgpb4.jpg

The top is a 1-1/2" 90, with a 1-1/4" reducer in one end (fits the Intex 1-1/2" skimmer adapter perfectly), then two 45 street elbows oriented to bring the 1-1/2" row tube back towards the wall.

At at the bottom is a 90, turned into the circulation of the pool.

D5CD975D-1AE1-4677-B7F0-51CFEEB189EB_zpsnojlowaq.jpg

i had posted in another thread that I thought my pool was clear, but boy was I wrong.

NOW my pool is clear!

1D8BE0F9-027E-42B6-87F4-D673BACAC99B_zpsshbwyvo1.jpg

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are the last set of numbers (this OCLT is with the solar blanket on)

7/1 8:30pm
FC 21.0ppm
CC 0.0ppm

7/2 4:30am
FC 20.0ppm
CC 0.5ppm (very faint pink, almost thought it was 0.0)

I would say SLAM complete!

I cannot wait to swim in this crystal clear pool, hope the FC drops to below shock level by the time I get home from work!

Dom

Well, it seems that I've developed a problem.....

My pool is SO clean that the FC is taking forever to drop LOL. I've only dropped 0.5ppm from 4:30pm yesterday until 6:30am today, now at 13.5ppm.

We had a few inches of rain, & I have backwashed/refilled so I am playing it safe (waiting for <12.0ppm) incase my CYA is closer to 30ppm (I got between 30 & 40 last night, but it was a bit overcast and tricky to read).

Can't wait to swim!!

Thanks again TFP.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.