Help: New homeowner with old pool/equipment

Hello all,

My wife and I recently bought an older house with an older pool. The water stays clean and fresh fairly well, and we have hired a pool guy to help. But I'm in over my head. Here's the situation I have.

The pool seems difficult to keep filled. Partly that may be just because the weather here has been absurd (110-degree days and 100-degree nights). But I'm concerned there is more to the problem.

When we first started with the pool, it would drop water level fairly quickly, maybe an inch or two over three days. The pool guy told me to turn off the skimmers so we could monitor. In the meantime, the pool has stayed basically constant, but the spa spilover runs all night. In the morning, the pool is at the same level, but the spa has lost a large amount of water. Maybe 5 inches or so.

As it stood this morning, the spa level is now maybe three inches above the pumps. When the pumps come on, the spa level seems to filltothetop, which starts the spillover.

Pool guy says we may need to replace the backwash valve. That doesn't sound terrible, but it also doesn't sound sufficient to me. Any thoughts?

I would think that the spa draining into the pool would be pretty easy to correct or moderate. The fact that the pool does not seem to increase any is what concerns me. Can I really be losing all that water by way of a bad backwash valve?

Hello and welcome to TFP! Henderson? My good lifelong friends live there. I'm a Vegas native myself. :) Anyways, I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post on your water level. Web issues have been giving us fits. :brickwall: I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

I can loose an inch through evaporation in a couple of days of hot weather here in the Los Angeles area, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're losing that in Nevada. It was shocking to me how much water is lost to evaporation - more than my TOTAL water usage at my prior home. I still can't wrap my head around losing more water to the air every day than I use to wash dishes, take showers, do laundry, flush toilets, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.