carp3nt3r keeper of the green lagoon.

Jun 29, 2015
east ridge, tn
hi folks,
i am reading how to combat the algae for control of my pool, a 24 foot round above ground with 48" walls, it has gotten out of control and now i have to reclaim it. i had water sampled at a local pool shop, but obviously the advice i was given was bogus.i have used bicarb from pool place to raise ph to 7.8 then 4 lbs shock, waited a bit then added floc, which is not working. i am deducing the floc isnt working because of live algae as my fc and tc are nearly zero again.so i am shocking with bleach now since my stabilizer reading is around 45.

always something. carp3nt3r.

well, i neglected to mention the pool kid told me to vacuum and brush prior to adding ph plus and the shock, which i did. Upon adding the floc, the surface coagulated slightly in wide spread clumps, and never really joined into a solid surface, as floc normally does before gently sinking to the bottom with all the suspended debris. Btw, ive run this pool about nine years now, so im not exactly a babe in the woods, although i've relied on the local pool joint for abnormal condition remediation advice. I also normally just use test strips for balance detection and three inch chlor tabs for sanitation along with the occasional bags of "shock" for cleaning up the water,as i prefer to keep things simple. This all started when we had company that rented a pontoon boat to use on the lake then returned to my house and swam in suits still wet from the river,then we all migrated out of town for a week, with no one to actually care for the pool, this, coupled with buying 'cheap' chlor tabs from a clearance store, makes me a poster child for " do not do this...EVER. period." so, being the idiot that i am, i have endeavored to learn to doctor my pool myself and hold no one responsible except myself. enough background, i have read and determined that I should use 3 containers of 121 oz. 8.25% bleach in this pool of about 12000 gallons to raise the fc level to around 16 ppm , test strip detects around 20 ppm but im sure its not perfectly exact. I will check again at midnight and add bleach if necessary,again in the a.m. before going to work.i can see some lightening of the hue of green around the edges now and anticipate more to come.

more later, carp3nt3r.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, usually it doesn't work as they say it will.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis