New to TFPC - Need to make sure I have this right

Apr 16, 2015
Rosenberg/TX
So we stopped our pool "service" last week and I'm taking back control. This is a new (to us) pool--2 yrs old. 12,500 gals according to the company that installed the pool. Gunite, in-ground pool with a spa.

We've had problems keeping the pH and Total Alkalinity constant but think I've finally gotten there. Today, pH is 7.4-7.5 and TA is 80. CH is 280. CYA is 60. (We have a Pentair 320 inline chlorinator which does not seem to be dissolving tablets at the moment so I'm going to empty it).

Our biggest problem is chlorine. It constantly measures 0 (both FC & CC). We have had problems with green algae on the south wall which is in the shade. The rest of the pool is in full sun during the day and reaches about 93F. The algae has seemed to have cleared up after the last shock and getting the pH down from 8+.

I started using generic 8.25% bleach 2 nights ago but I'm still getting 0 chlorine when testing. I've also started running the pump at night for 8hrs as well as adding chems at dusk or as soon as everyone is out the pool. The pump is a variable speed and I run at 2750rpms to get a 9gpm flow out the cartridge filter.

Based on what I've read so far, I'd like to target a chlorine level of about 5. The pool calculator says I should add 94oz of 8.25% (which I'm getting from Home Depot for $2.97/121oz). Now, assuming I'm able to get to that level and all the other numbers pan out, does that mean that is how much I should be adding daily to maintain? That will work out to about 6 gals/week or about $75-80/week. Which seems a bit high to me.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Bill W

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit do you have?

With your CYA already up to 60ppm, you need to stop using the trichlor tablets.

The the presence of algae, and the inability to have FC show up, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to eradicate whatever is in your water.

After you pass the 3 criteria to stop, then you go into maintenance mode. It is normal to need to add 2-3ppm of FC each day. Which is less than a 1/2 bottle of bleach per day or about $1.50 per day.
I have no idea how you think 6 gallons/week = $80/week :scratch:

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Before I stick my foot in my mouth by guessing, I have a couple of questions:

Where is Rosenberg? Sometimes the climate matters. Pool care in Ontario is different from South Florida.

What are you using to get your numbers?

Check that Home Depot Bleach for the manufacturing date code. Bleach loses strength over time and I've seen some really old bleach at Home Depot.

One recent poster bought bleach at HD which was basically water due to decomposition of the strength, and of course the chlorine level in the pool did not budge after adding it.

I do not buy bleach if it is over 1 month old.

Here is a link to help you with the date code.

If in fact your CYA is 60 your range is 5 - 7 FC. Where 5 is the bare minimum you should ever have. Anything below that you're starting to ask for trouble.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Be sure that you use the above chart and map your FC targets accordingly. In my situation I use 2 ppm per day. Sometimes 3 of FC. I'm at 50ppm CYA so my range is technically 4-6. I am more comfortable dosing to 7 each morning and by the next morning I almost always am at 5 still 1 full ppm ahead of minimum. On occasion with more use I'm at 4 or just below 4. I personally like the extra protection. Probably not 100% necessary but it's what works for me. I've never had algae and register .5 or less CC's. I've hit 1cc a couple of times and then I know I just need to do some extra brushing, vacuuming and just check things over. By the next morning I'm all good.

That said, you do need to SLAM. What I'm talking about is more ongoing maintenance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit do you have?

With your CYA already up to 60ppm, you need to stop using the trichlor tablets.

The the presence of algae, and the inability to have FC show up, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to eradicate whatever is in your water.

After you pass the 3 criteria to stop, then you go into maintenance mode. It is normal to need to add 2-3ppm of FC each day. Which is less than a 1/2 bottle of bleach per day or about $1.50 per day.
I have no idea how you think 6 gallons/week = $80/week :scratch:

Oops. Forgot that info.

Rosenberg TX, southwest of Houston.

I have a Taylor K-2005 test kit.

I meant to type $80/MONTH not week. ($18/week, 4 weeks to a month).

Off to read SLAM. Actually saw that in my reading but thought that was the TFPC equivalent of shocking. Will go back and read closely.

Hmmm. didn't know about the expiration date thing. I"ll have to check that out. Thanks for that tidbit!

OH, one other thing. the local leslie's pool store tests for phosphates and tells me I have 100ppm. I'm pretty sure they are trying to sell me their phosphate-free (or whatever it's called) Am I right or should I worry about that as well ?

Bill W

Good morning Bill. Let's save you some $$. Ignore the phosphates. In fact, ignore the pool store all together if you can. :)

The K2005 is good, but the K2006 is better. The K2006 includes a chlorine test, the FAS-DPD that has a color change to indicate chlorine level rather than the color matching test. The FAS-DPD has a very high test range so it can be used while you are shocking the pool. But don't worry. You can get the FAS-DPD test to add to your kit at

http://duraleighcon378.corecommerce....-test-p47.html

This is the TFTestKits site and is a reputable place with fast shipping.

Have a great day!

I have a Taylor K-2005 test kit.

Off to read SLAM. Actually saw that in my reading but thought that was the TFPC equivalent of shocking. Will go back and read closely.

OH, one other thing. the local leslie's pool store tests for phosphates and tells me I have 100ppm. I'm pretty sure they are trying to sell me their phosphate-free (or whatever it's called) Am I right or should I worry about that as well ?

Bill W
Bill, three things:

You need to purchase the individual FAD-DPD test to turn your K-2005 kit into a K-2006. The kit you have is limited to 10ppm chlorine testing and you will need to read higher than that to SLAM

Shocking is throwing an unscientific amount of chlorine in the pool once and expecting it to clean up your problems. A SLAM is a continuous process by which you maintain the shock level of chlorine in your pool until it is proved by three distinct tests that everything in the water is dead.

Yes, Leslie's is trying to sell you a magic potion for phosphates. Phosphates are a made up problem by the pool industry to be able to sell you more unneeded stuff. In a properly balanced and chlorinated pool phosphates are irrelevant.

FAS-DPD test kit will be here first of next week. Looks like I'll be shooting for an FC level of 24 during the SLAM based on my CYA level (60).

Should I pull the filter cartridges and give them a good cleaning before starting? Seems reasonable to me even though we did that about a month ago.

Also, with this variable-speed pump, what kind of flow rate should I look for during and after SLAM? Right now I have the speed set such that I get about 9gpm (gal per minute) and am running from 2200 to 0600

Bill W

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good moring Bill! You're right about the projected SLAM FC level. Clean the filter? .. you can. You will be doing it more during the SLAM as well. When I SLAMmed a couple years back, my filter was always green until I beat it. :) You can also keep brushing and sweeping to keep any visible algae broken-up. As for the pump speed, I'm not a VS owner, but I know it doesn't need to be on high, just simply running 24/7 during the SLAM to keep the water moving. Perhaps a low to mid-range, but someone with VS experience may reply to confirm. It may say on the SLAM page (link below), but I"m heading-off to work. :)

Let us know when you get your FAS-DPD and we'll help you kick that algae in the butt. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Test kit arrived late yesterday so I started the SLAM this afternoon after cleaning the filter cartridges. Got FC to about 26 (target was 24). PH and TA were spot on, 7.5 and 90. It is now 4 hours later and just checked the FC and PH. PH is purple. Never saw that color before. I know I need to add chlorine to get back to my 24 but the SLAM doc says nothing about trying to maintain PH. Should I add acid to get back into 7.5-7.8 range? The doc does say that PH readings will be unreliable during the process so should I just ignore?

TIA

Bill W

2 and 3/4 days and 10gals of fresh 8.25% bleach and I'm still having to add bleach. During the day it is worse, about 121 oz or so every two hours. Next morning about a jug full to bring it back to 24.

Water is crystal clear and CC is next to 0 (something like .5 if my math is right). Wife wants to know how much longer and I'm wondering if I shouldn't test CYA again to make sure it is still 60?

Only thing in the pool when we started were a few grass clippings that blew in but those have been fished out.

Am I getting close?

Bill W.

CYA was originally tested by myself, via the K-2005 kit, and the local Leslie's to be 60ppm when I started the SLAM Saturday. Unfortunately, I discovered that I'm out of R-0013 and so is the local Leslie's so I had them test CYA. They now come up with 30ppm. :confused: So I went back to pool school and read the article about CYA degradation. Seems that over-chlorinating can "use up" some CYA if I understand the chemistry correctly. So I have now gone back to the CYA/Chlorine chart and see that my new target FC is 12 for SLAM. Current FC is 17.5 and no CC

So now I have the following questions:
1) Should I add some CYA to bring me back up a notch on the CYA scale?
2) Should I trust the local pool store's test results? (I'm not sure I do)
3) Do I now hold my FC to 12 and see what it ends up as in the morning?

To paraphrase: Help me Obi-wans, ya'll are my only hope!

Bill W

Hello again Bill. To answer your questions:
1 - No. Don't add any more stabilizer right now if you are still SLAMming
2 - Nope. :) I learned to never trust their readings again. Most here would agree.
3 - Your last "personally verified" CYA was 60. SLAM FC for that CYA level is 24. I would stay at 24 (maintain).

Until you get more R-0013, consider your CYA 60 and press-on as before. CYA won't just drop in a day or two. Trust your first reading and go with it.

That's my 2 1/2 cents worth. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.