Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston Pool Build

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston Pool Build

After battling with the 22.5ft power line rule for a few months and finding this site later in the process, we finally started our build on the 14th. This site has been great for getting more info on the more controversial topics. We decided to go with salt despite the many warnings from some PBs in the area. Only time will tell on that decision.

34 x 16 Free Form Gunite - Tropical Breeze Pebbletec, Color Logic LED Lights, ProLine PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 2hp Northstar 2 spd, 1hp Northstar - sheer descent, Hayward 525 Cartridge Filter, Hayward 400K Low Nox Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Houston Pool Build

There seems to be higher than usual industry opposition to SWG's in Texas than anywhere else. Dunno why that is but every rep I've ever met from Texas, heater reps especially, has been very averse to salt.

Looks great!

3. Back To Top    #3

The reasons for more opposition to SWGs in Texas may relate to the discussion that started in this long thread, especially after page 10, and continued in this thread.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Most of the issues in Texas are related to stone damage. I'm hoping being more diligent with water chemistry and sealing a proven flagstone coping will avoid most problems. Can anyone recommend a good natural stone sealer that is easy to apply by a non professional?

On another topic, I was very interested in the variable speed pump, but settled on a 2 speed after getting feedback that it would be difficult to run the pump at a very low speed with all the trees in our area. The issue seemed to be with the skimmer not getting enough suction at a low speeds to clear leaves before they would begin to disintegrate and sink.
    34 x 16 Free Form Gunite - Tropical Breeze Pebbletec, Color Logic LED Lights, ProLine PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 2hp Northstar 2 spd, 1hp Northstar - sheer descent, Hayward 525 Cartridge Filter, Hayward 400K Low Nox Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Variable speed pumps running on very low speeds can indeed have problems with the skimmer(s) not working well. You can compensate for that by running the pump on a higher speed for say half an hour ever few hours, but you need to have a controller that is smart enough that it will allow you to program them to do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Finished most of the plumbing, stone, and tile work on Friday. The existing landscaping is taking more of a beating than I thought it would on the back of the yard...

Can anyone tell me what size pump would be needed for the 3ft sheer decent on the stacked stone wall? I'm thinking I might be oversized on my spec sheet.

7. Back To Top    #7

Very nice!
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Inorris~ Love your tiles! I can't wait to see it finished!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe the Sheer Decent requires 15 - 18 gpm per foot of waterfall.

What type of stone are you using on the stone wall?
    If water will be running down this wall periodically, it may make a difference on if you're going to experience stone damage or not.

This is the exact type of environment where it is highly recommended for the stone to be sealed properly. That is, when the water is not running, the salt will increase in concentration and may penetrate subsurface to cause the freeze/thaw effect that can damage stone.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

10. Back To Top    #10

The stone is Oklahoma Multiblend Flagstone.

I was talking to one of the builders today and he even started to waiver on going with salt. I'm now on the fence again between choosing salt over a chlorine feeder. It would be good to hear some actual experiences from people using this type of flagstone with salt in the area.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just to reiterate what Sean said, if the tile is sealed properly you'll be fine. If not, you'll get a lot of scale build up very fast.

You need 7-10 GPM per foot of edge for every 3' of drop, so 10 GPM per foot should work for you. More is fine and will just result in a thicker fall coming further away from the wall. Any less and you won't get a solid sheet of water.

12. Back To Top    #12

Finally got around to posting more picutres....

13. Back To Top    #13

Very nice! And you're another good LED guinea pig. Looks like you've got one on each end of a 34' pool. Any complaints?

14. Back To Top    #14

I initially had one 500w lamp in the specs, but switched to the LEDs. The two lights put out plenty of light for the pool and I like the ability to change colors. I also like how it looks with the darker pebble, so no complaints. I was worried that the light on the right might shine into the house, but the fact that the LEDs are not as intense was a postive in this case.

15. Back To Top    #15

lnorris, looks like you went with the SWG....beautiful pool, BTW!! I have all natural stone on my pool and spa...travertine coping and moldings, natural quarry stone on the raised bond beam, plus a SWG. We sealed all the stone and travertine with Dry Treat Stain-Proof sealer. Easy to do yourself. Got it at Master Tile through our PB. It was definitely worth the time and expense for peace of mind. HTH!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

16. Back To Top    #16

I sealed the flagstone and slate patio with a product called bulletproof from Stonetech. It seems to be very repellant, but left a slight white haze on some of the darker flagstones stones. Stonetech support suggested dilluting one of their cleaning products to remove the haze, although it seems to be fading over the last few days of rain. I'll probably go with StainProof next time.

17. Back To Top    #17

Congrats to a lovely pool and one of the clearest pool waters I have seen.
    How long have you run the pump for after fill up on those pics?
    The water colour is also very appealing to my eyes, toghether with it's shape. Very nice
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

18. Back To Top    #18

Stonetech was also recommended, and nearly used it because it's supposed to be a great product, but decided to go with the Stain Proof. We don't have any dark stone like you, however, so I can't say whether it would leave a haze...it doesn't seem to with our materials. Glad you got everything sealed! You can relax now. Enjoy the coming pool season!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    Congrats to a lovely pool and one of the clearest pool waters I have seen.
    How long have you run the pump for after fill up on those pics?
    The water colour is also very appealing to my eyes, toghether with it's shape. Very nice
    Thanks. I think I took those pics after about 3 weeks after the fill.

20. Back To Top    #20

norris,

The pool looks great! great job on everything.

I wanted to ask a question about your decking. In your pics, i see that apparently you covered your decking around your pool. I was wondering what you used to do it. You go from the plain grey concrete to a textured looking beige-ish color. I like the look and was wanting to do something similar on our pool. Can you let me know what you used....thanks...

DMAN
    17,500g ; 16X32 Inground Vinyl
    Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    3/4hp booster on Polaris 280
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast