Heater questions

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
replacing an 18 year old raypac 333 btu that always took too long to heat an 8 foot diameter attached spa so i am going to a 400 btu heater but trying to decide on the make/model.

1. Pentair master-temp 400 or Sta-Rite 400 can be purchased online for $1900 and a local company will install for $600 - total $2400 but the same local company wants $3400 to install the same Pentair with a 2 year parts and labor warranty.

2. is it worth the piece of mind for the warranty? seems high to me to pay $1000 for a 2 year parts and labor warranty

3. Leslies is getting back to me with prices but I don't thing they even offer an extended warranty .....but I think they will install a Sta-Rite 400 btu for $2500.

any recommendations or comments about heater installs, research, etc.are welcome..thx

Replace the Raypak with another Raypak. You won't be disappointed.

All Pentair heaters, MaxiTherm and MasterTemp, all come with a 2 year manufacturer warranty for residential use. If you use a licensed company for the install you won't have any issues with the warranty.

I thought I would get more from the peanut gallery but guess not.
ok....for anyone thats interested...this is what I have found out during my heater searches. (still waiting for Leslie's quotes...probably not a good sign )

I found 2 places via local google searches that will only install Pentair Mastertemps due to high quality, one guy did say the Sta-Rite 'R2D2' has the same internals as the Pentair MasterTemp but it is black and round vs. beige and square so its basically up to buyer preference.

the best price from a certified installer for the Pentair Mastertemp 400 is $3225 inclusive (includes tax and piping) with a 3 year parts and labor warranty.....
so I could maybe save $600 if I buy it from Amazon ($2000 for the heater plus $600 labor install cost) but could be lots of hassles if DOA or other issues and only a 60 day mftr warranty.

I will most likely go with the Pentair for $3225 - I should get faster heating for the spa since I am going from a 333 to 400 btu. ...will post after its in...my advice is to shop around..my regular pool guy wanted $3900 installed for the same heater

Well sorry no one else chimed in but if you did a search through this forum, Raypak's get the highest rating. But to each their own. Good luck with your purchase.

Jp, I just put in a 399K btu raypak about a month ago. installation basic was straightforward, took me most of the morning and afternoon but I am slow on purpose. I purchased from inyopools and was happy with price (~$1900) and shipping. Unit fired right up and heats my pool (21K gallons) 2-3 degrees per hour. My old Laars unit was loud. The raypak is very quiet, hardly noticeable over the pump.

Since I am in the north and will only use the unit a few months a year, I wasn't worried enough about the warranty to pay the local costs or more importantly get on the install waiting list. Depending where you are that might be more of a consideration.

It is still early for me, but I wouldn't hesitate saying I am satisfied with the raypak.

just got the Pentair mastertemp installed last Sat - much smaller unit than my old rusty raypac and more power (upgraded from 333 to 400) and am very happy so far.
Heats from 82 degrees to 98 degrees in 25 minutes for 8 foot diameter spa.
took a 3 man crew 1 hr 15 min to install including removing the expensive and useless pool frog cleaner that I stopped using 5 years ago when I joined TFP. (with vastly improved water)
total cost $3225 with 3 year parts and labor warranty....I figure the installer made a grand at least but this was still the best price in my area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.