water calcium lines after a week?!

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
it's been about a week now with water. i'm lowering the water due to needing to touch up some pebble and fix the grout on the tile along with sealed the marbella today. i can't believe i already have water lines. i didn't think they'd bother me so went with the tile i wanted, cobalt blue. but, it does bother me, especially since it's the first week! i know we r just trying to figure out how to have a pool and have a salt pool that is low on salt. i will add salt tonight after i can walk on the sealer. the infloor wasn't set up for a few days after start-up and we have had them off so that they wouldn't wet the coping to seal the pool.

doesn't calcium build up on the walls mean i need to change the ph? tips for cleaning it off? its it much easier if we do it right away verses taking care of it later? i can't clean tile every week! thx!

use pool math to keep an eye on that Calcium Saturation Index CSI at the bottom. It's very dependent on pH and Calcium readings. If you filled with tap water, your Calcium is already very high. Your probably don't have a lot of salt in the water yet, which may get higher as you go along if you're using liquid chlorine.

Plus, with a new plaster pool, your pH is going to rise quickly. I'd shoot for 7.2. It'll be up to 7.4 within a day I bet. When I've been on top of the pH level, I notice the water line much less.

In this thread and the ear infection thread, you haven't posted a full set of test numbers yet. Did you get a testing kit?

What is your CH? How are you testing the water?

You likely have hard water and I know you have very high evaporation. Evaporation is always going to leave deposits on the water line. By keeping the pool balanced, I think you can reduce the amount, but some amount of deposits is inevitable.

You have a new plaster pool in an area with high water evaporation. It would be unusual if your CH didn't go up. So what is your CH? You can expect to rise for a while because of the new plaster. AS Jason stated keep the ph low (7.2) and that will probably reduce any lines. Water features can be a problem. Keeping my ph low reduces my line to close to invisibility but I can see it.

they weren't calcium lines. it was just probably some salt build up from the initial adding of salt to the pool? something crisp that had bubbled up on the water line. was easily removed by brushing and swimming. but while we r on the topic of testing, i always wondered about the test kit on this site. the pb gave us a testing kit with start up. this is what my test kit includes 4 indicator solutions:
1. for bromine which doesn't apply to us
2. ph
3. acid demand and alkalinity test
4. chlorine neutralizer
5. total alkalinity test

the test bottle has a section to measure chorine and one to measure ph. we do the acid demand test to see how much ph to add. salt water pool.

what is CH? i'm going to have to start reading pool math.

i couldn't figure out why they added calcium at start up and i forget his scientific reasoning but he added a bag of powder calcium. he said it's only needed at start up. strange with the hard water we have in phoenix. h20 is 8 or 8.2 here i believe.

thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.