tips for how to seal correctly-and question. how to get sealer out of water

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I sealed my marbella this morning. i wanted to seal the overhang and originally tried to spray it on. i saw how much sealer was getting into the water so i took some lambswool and did it that way from then on, but that caused another problem; trying not to get the lambswool wet, which i did a couple of times. sealing is supposed to be done on a dry surface. so i got some water on the coping. bummer. tip #1. lower the water level or do the first seal before water is in the pool. i had stopped filling the pool since i was going to seal and they have to come on friday to retouch pebble and tile and i still touched the water with the lambswool.

tip #2. wear gloves. i don't know what kind of chemicals those r. i should've wore gloves from the get-go
tip #3. if someone has a better way to do it, pls let us know. i used a piece of wood/cardboard to block the sealer from going into the water for when i sprayed the edge of the coping.
tip 4. a backpack sprayer would've made it a bit faster due to trying to navigate tip 3 and moving the sealer. no big deal, though.
tip 5. i wish i had a tip for how to do a large deck. says to rub off excess puddles after 20 minutes but it also says not to walk on it until 2 hrs afterwards. maybe walk barefoot or with a plastic bag or special shoes like those funky shoes they where for pebble. :) i wore flilp flops and took them off as necessary walking around the coping and deck and did step barefoot onto the sealer with clean feet to rub off excess

Question. now what do i do about getting the sealer out of the pool that got into the pool? i guess it's like suntan lotion and natural oils. i have a salt water pool. i can see oil floating on top of the pool. i am going to run the pump most of the day on low (not high cuz i worry the pop ups will spray water on the overhang on the baja step)-i'd have to see, again, but i think it does that. do i just have to hope it grabs on to some leaves in the pool and i get it out little by little in the skimmer or is there something else i could do? any other tips on sealing a pool?!

thx!

Hello outdoorsgal! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about seal tips. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

I do not have marbella tile on my pool but I do have concrete all the way up to the edge all around. I used a solvent based sealer on mine not sure if yours was solvent based or not. I started applying it with a roller, however that was taking WAY too long. I ended up using a sprayer, it had to be a metal one made for spraying solvents (chapin extreme) not your cheap one for spraying weeds. when near the waters edge i also had sealer get onto the water that looked like oil on the surface also. The overspray on the water dried on the surface and I used a pole skimmer to simply skim it off the surface. The little bit I could not all skim off I just turned my filter on to the skimmer only intake and it was all removed. I also sprayed my entire area in flip flops and the overspray on my man feet made my big toes look like I had applied some high gloss nail polish for weeks afterward. When I reseal again in a couple years I will use the sprayer again for sure and wear shoes.

Realdealoo8, didn't see any shoe imprints in the sealer after it dried? i called the sealer company and they said the sealer could just get sucked up into the skimmer. gladly, there were some leaves and i think it grabbed onto as i did find some oily leaves in the skimmer. i've never owned a pool, so i guess with recirculating the water and the skimmer, just like with body oils and suntan lotion, it all goes through the filter and gets cleaned, i'm hoping. glad to know i was right on with using the sprayer. rubbing it on the underneath lip sure took longer!
Texas Splash, thx for the post too! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.