Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2015
Blacksburg, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are preparing to set up our Intex Ultra Frame pool (24' x 12' x 52") on Friday and have a couple questions. The ground has been leveled, and we are in SC, so we have the lovely red clay for dirt :) Should we go with masonry sand, extruded polystyrene, or both? What about a gorilla pad? My other question is about the support under the legs. Which is better, wood or concrete pavers? We want to do this right the first time, so any suggestions are much appreciated!

If you're going with pavers, you will need heavy duty 2" thick pavers. That rectangular pool will snap 1" pavers like twigs. You can use sand as a base or you can buy foam as a base. The foam is considerably more expensive. I'd just use sand but that's me. I however used a gorilla pad under my pool because my yard is full of fill such as rocks, cinder blocks, broken glass and other stuff.

I have progressed through various sizes of intex through the years as my daughter has grown. I have used sand, gorilla pad, and polystyrene. Without a doubt the polystyrene was the best. Very comfortable on feet and no worries about liner damage. Gorilla pad works well for protection but isn't comfortable. Sand is just a mess, and it doesn't stay in place. I hope this helps!

Bill

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

So if we use 2" pavers, sand, styrene, then a tarp, is that overkill? I'm thinking we need the sand to help level the 2" pavers with top of the styrene? Thanks for the suggestions, they are much appreciated!!

There's no need for the tarp with the styrene. My experience with sand is that it moves and shifts and washes out. You can buy 2" styrene or dig your paver in. Maybe someone else has had better luck with sand than I have and can help you out with that. You still have a couple days to figure out what you want to do. Whatever you decide just be sure to tape the seams on the styrene if you go that route.

The only reason I've thought about using a tarp is to cover the styrene seams. I've read posts from several people that suggested the tarp over the styrene will keep you from feeling the seams of the styrene under your feet. We intend to use gorilla tape on the seams. Will that be enough protection from feeling the seams?

We're debating this right now as well....where in the pool-sandwich does the tarp go, and is it needed? We're thinking of a packed dirt floor, with either an inch of sand or an inch of crush, and then an inch of the extruded polystyrene. A tarp on the top helps hide the seams....and a tarp on the bottom, in my brain, helps to really keep the weeds and rocks etc down. I'm following your post with interest :)

Your tarp theory to cover/even out the seams makes sense. I used a tarp underneath the styrene but not on top. I don't recall being able to feel the seems and I know I couldn't see them. If you already have the tarp I would use it, I like the idea of it. One word of caution as you are laying out the styrene and taping the seams use some kind d of weight to hold it down. When I did mine a gust of wind came when my daughter and I were placing the last piece and the whole thing went airborne. Good luck, you are going to love the way the pool bottom feels on your feet!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.