What's behind the cover of an Autopilot SWG Dig 220? Besides a wasp nest behind mine

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Ok, a bit of an unusual situation, for at least for me:

There is a wasp nest behind the cover of the wall unit portion of my Autopilot Dig 220 SWG. I know this because not only do wasps constantly come in and out from behind the cover, but I used one of those in wall fiberoptic cameras to see the nest. I can't tell, however, if there are any exposed electronics behind the cover.

I would like to spray some wasp killer behind there (I'd have to spray blindly), but don't want to ruin the unit. Is there anything exposed behind the cover that would be damaged?

Or if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

I'm not sure if anything is exposed or not but... if they are out of the way, I'd deal with them once it cools down in the off season. I see that may take awhile since you're in Texas but that's what I'd do if they aren't a complete nuisance.

Lets see what others say...

There are electronics. You shouldn't spray into the unit. I'm thinking that you will need some protective clothing so that you can open the box and physically remove the wasps.

You can get a beekeeper's suit or hire a removal service.

I would remove them as they could potentially damage the unit.

Don't spray anything into the autopilot. If you aren't allergic, just pop the cover off real quick and see what's going on in there. You will have to unplug a ribbon wire and another little plug to take the cover away from the power module. After that you can assess your situation

Ok, not what I really wanted to hear, but I guess I have no choice. Hopefully won't get stung too many times... Wish me luck.

....ok, just did it. I didn't realize this until I took off the cover, but the power module is not flush with the wall (I'm assuming they do this so that water runs down behind the power module). The wasp nest was between the power module and the wall. I was able to take off the cover to see this then knock off the wasp nest with a stick so it fell on the ground. Then sprayed the wasp nest on the ground.

And I didn't get stung, but there were lots of angry wasps close by...

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.