Setting up this pool is making me feel stupid. Help with salt water!

Jun 14, 2015
cape cod, ma
I swear I have a brain. I've read getting started but I am actually more confused now. lol

We have it all set up. We can't fill it though until I get the adapters - supposed to be here tomorrow.

In the meantime tell me about salt.

How much do we need for 2,000 gallons?

Where do we buy the salt and what kind do we use?

Do I need to buy bleach, too...in order to 'open' the pool?

Do we add the salt to the water as we are filling it?

here ya go :)

put you info into poolmath and let it do the work :)
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

go to lowes and get the blue bag of salt, however many poolmath says

you will want to put bleach in the first couple of days until you can turn you salt water generator on ( don't turn it on for 24 hours after you put salt in)

Get it going as a bleach pool first.

So...
1) fill it up and get it circulating and check for leaks.
2) Add 2 ppm FC. poolmath says that's only 3/4 cup of standard clorox 8.25% laundry bleach. Not the fancy scented or splashless stuff. Plain stuff. Store brand will also work. Check the strength on the label.
3) Add stabilizer aka CYA aka Cyanuric acid. Target 70 ppm. Poolmath says 19 fluid ounces 2 ¼-½ measuring cups tied up in a sock and suspended in front of the return jet. Don't try pouring it down into the filter intake because it's mildly acidic and can mess up the pump and filter, and not scattered in the pool because it will leave freckles on the floor.
4) Test pH and adjust it to 7.2-7.8 using acid or borax as needed. Poolmath will tell you which and how much. Or post results here and someone will tell you.
5) Thirty minutes after the pH adjustment is done, it's safe to swim in. Always have the pump running when you add chemicals.
6) At that point, you can add salt. The SWG manual will tell you how much to add. As it says in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work. Pellets dissolve more slowly, but still dissolve quickly enough to be fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, though it tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 28% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

Salt can simply be dumped into the pool. Spread it around a bit with a brush so there aren't any large piles, and leave the pump running for 24 hours after adding salt. If you have a SWG, it should be turned off while you are adding salt and for the next 24 hours.​

If there are children involved, they will enjoy swimming through salt crystals. See Diamond Day.

You'll need to add bleach every day until the salt has completely dissolved and the SWG is running. The CYA will take a couple days to dissolve.

20140516_172204_zps94d197av.jpg

Take a few minutes to study up on Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. You won;t need a mondo test kit, because if things get too far out of whack, draining is a fast and easy solution for you. But you will need something to test pH and FC. I suggest you find an OTO test kit that uses shades of yellow for the chlorine. Test strips don't cut it.

My salt levels had dropped from last summer, we had to add about 40lbs this year. I bought a bag from walmart, labeled as 'pool salt'...we got in the pool, i spread the salt around and we splashed and kicked all the salt around, it dissolved pretty fast...but i noticed again (just like my first year putting it in) the bags seem to always contain tiny stones/pebbles...that are NOT salt....but someone how mixed in with it...be sure to pick them up manually or vacuum them all up so they don't tear or rip your liner.

side note...the first year i bought the salt i got it from a pool store near me, different brand from walmart, and both contained these pebbles or w/e they were

Get it going as a bleach pool first.

So...
1) fill it up and get it circulating and check for leaks.
2) Add 2 ppm FC. poolmath says that's only 3/4 cup of standard clorox 8.25% laundry bleach. Not the fancy scented or splashless stuff. Plain stuff. Store brand will also work. Check the strength on the label.
3) Add stabilizer aka CYA aka Cyanuric acid. Target 70 ppm. Poolmath says 19 fluid ounces 2 ¼-½ measuring cups tied up in a sock and suspended in front of the return jet. Don't try pouring it down into the filter intake because it's mildly acidic and can mess up the pump and filter, and not scattered in the pool because it will leave freckles on the floor.
4) Test pH and adjust it to 7.2-7.8 using acid or borax as needed. Poolmath will tell you which and how much. Or post results here and someone will tell you.
5) Thirty minutes after the pH adjustment is done, it's safe to swim in. Always have the pump running when you add chemicals.
6) At that point, you can add salt. The SWG manual will tell you how much to add. As it says in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work. Pellets dissolve more slowly, but still dissolve quickly enough to be fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, though it tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 28% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

Salt can simply be dumped into the pool. Spread it around a bit with a brush so there aren't any large piles, and leave the pump running for 24 hours after adding salt. If you have a SWG, it should be turned off while you are adding salt and for the next 24 hours.​

If there are children involved, they will enjoy swimming through salt crystals. See Diamond Day.

You'll need to add bleach every day until the salt has completely dissolved and the SWG is running. The CYA will take a couple days to dissolve.

20140516_172204_zps94d197av.jpg

Take a few minutes to study up on Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. You won;t need a mondo test kit, because if things get too far out of whack, draining is a fast and easy solution for you. But you will need something to test pH and FC. I suggest you find an OTO test kit that uses shades of yellow for the chlorine. Test strips don't cut it.

This is perfect! Step by step is just what I needed.
thank you!!

we've had some bad weather here so the pool has been sitting empty until today. ugh!!!

I have another question while it is filling with water :)

So once it's filled, we turn on the filter, then add:

3/4 of 8.25% clorox
1/2 cup of Stabilizer - cyanuric acid

then test after how long?

we use cyanuric acid to adjust if PH is off?

I'm going to worry about this first, then deal with the saltwater part. My head is going to explode after setting this stupid thing up. lol

Stablilizer can take up to a week to show up on a test, so don't bother testing for it right away. Just assume it's there at the desired level for the amount you added.

Once the water has been stirred up a bit, you can test your FC level.

No, you use muriatic acid to lower ph, not CYA.

Add your salt as well and then give it 24 hours to dissolve, then turn on your SWG. Start with 4 hours/day and adjust up or down to keep your FC where you want it. I like to target 5 ppm.

we've had some bad weather here so the pool has been sitting empty until today. ugh!!!

I have another question while it is filling with water :)

So once it's filled, we turn on the filter, then add:

3/4 of 8.25% clorox
1/2 cup of Stabilizer - cyanuric acid

then test after how long?

we use cyanuric acid to adjust if PH is off?

I'm going to worry about this first, then deal with the saltwater part. My head is going to explode after setting this stupid thing up. lol
I don't know how you turned "19 fluid ounces 2 ¼-½ measuring cups of granular stabilizer" into 1/2 cup, but it's your pool. Do what you want. What chemical does what is explained in detail in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know how you turned "19 fluid ounces 2 ¼-½ measuring cups of granular stabilizer" into 1/2 cup, but it's your pool. Do what you want. What chemical does what is explained in detail in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

oh doop. lol. Totally misread that.
I have since purchased some borax, so I think I am set if PH is off.

So for stabilizer I am using that cool sock trick and will use the correct amount. Thanks, Richard and all!

p.s. It's still filling. slooooooooowly. :)

I am so frustrated. I'm sorry to keep pestering about this but my volume measurements are now all wrong. The website from which we bought the pool said it was 2,000 gallons. It's not. It's 2,900 gallons. It's an oddball size that only Target carries and I am regretting buying this instead of the 'normal' sized pools that makes this whole process easier.

If I plug numbers into the calc, do I follow the Targets for a vinyl bleach pool even though we are setting it up as a salt pool asap?
For example, the CYA for a bleach pool is 30-50, but the CYA for a SWG is 70-80, so the amount of acid to add is pretty different depending on which Target I use.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's telling me 1 cup 5 oz of bleach for FC 3-5 Target

Until the SWG is on, use bleach-vinyl-TFP settings. Feel free to alter the recommendations - set your CYA to the SWG level and it will automatically fill in the FC level you need. But that's only after the CYA dissolves. After you add the salt and fire off the SWG, change to Salt-vinyl-TFP.

Don't obsess. As long as the FC-CYA ratio is good and the pH is between 7.2 and 7.8, it's swimmable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.