Will DE harm my lawn / pet?

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
I've recently added DE to my sand filter, just to try to get that polished sparkle in my pool.

When I would backwash, it is into the yard, and normally it makes my grass grow very lush.

Will the DE hurt the lawn, or be hazardous to my family and dog who frequent the yard?

It's only 1-3/4 cups. Before DE I was back washing about every 10-14 days (+15%-20%psi).

Dom

Inhaling the dry DE is not good. And if you put it all over you lawn and then it drys and then the dogs go sniffing around, that could be bad news.

You could switch to the cellulose fiber instead of DE and not have the problem.

Inhaling the dry DE is not good. And if you put it all over you lawn and then it drys and then the bogs go sniffing around, that could be bad news.

You could switch to the cellulose fiber instead of DE and not have the problem.
Interesting, is there a specific brand name I should look for/avoid?

Dom

DE is just an inhalation hazard. It's not toxic if eaten. Be aware that it is silicon - like sand - and will never break down. If you've got a patch of white crust at the discharge, it will stay there. The best you can do is mix it in the dirt.

I use cellulose for that reason. It's wood pulp and will eventually rot away. Whatever brand the store sells is good enough, as long as it says cellulose filter media and it's in the pool section,. Don't get garden DE.

Reactions: Aznewmom
DE is used extensively in organic farming and greenhouses. We use it to reduce insect issues - http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/Images/dust_mizer.jpg Many organic folks do, yes you can wear a mask, and I have when its windy or I am outdoors, but most growers do not use one. The DE cuts up the exoskeleton of the bugs and dried them out. Its very drying and getting it on your skin can make you quite dry - I wash it off with water. The pool forums is the first place I heard of DE as something bad and to be avoided. In the farming world it's rather welcome as a pesticide free way of controlling bugs without too much boogie man reputation.

Reactions: Aznewmom
DE is used extensively in organic farming and greenhouses. We use it to reduce insect issues - http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/Images/dust_mizer.jpg Many organic folks do, yes you can wear a mask, and I have when its windy or I am outdoors, but most growers do not use one. The DE cuts up the exoskeleton of the bugs and dried them out. Its very drying and getting it on your skin can make you quite dry - I wash it off with water. The pool forums is the first place I heard of DE as something bad and to be avoided. In the farming world it's rather welcome as a pesticide free way of controlling bugs without too much boogie man reputation.
I thought that gardening DE was different from pool filter DE, and not suitable for filters?

Dom

I think one is sintered and the other is not. I'm about to have to researching it more because my wife wants to use it for pest control. I have to verify that I get the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.