New Pump Wiring

20A GFCI double-pole breakers are a lot easier to find though, and surprisingly often cheaper :)

Also, while many have had luck with any GFCI breaker the VSP pumps are known to be picky and it seems Siemens has the best luck. I found it finally digging through here and it fixed my issues instantly after trying two different Eaton/Cutler Hammer breakers. It also turned out to be cheaper. You may want to just go with it from the start if it fits your panel. QF220P for 20A and QF215 for 15A if you can find a 15A other than online. On a side note, how far is the breaker from the pump? If not real close you may want to have an electrician verify wire gauge due to distance.

I'm not sure comparing Home Depot, who doesn't even carry the 15A to Amazon is accurate. Pick almost any brand GFCI breaker you want where Home Depot or Lowes carries both and the 20A is "almost" always cheaper.

For Amazon, you also have a link that shows other amperage selections right in it showing the 20A as cheaper as well, although it comes out a little higher with shipping due to a different vendor. Just finding a 15A double pole GFCI can be difficult if not shopping online and waiting for it, but for those few that are carried the 20A is cheaper in many cases.

A few bucks is probably pointless to worry about, but IF he has the wiring needed he'll likely find a much better deal local going 20A, and would otherwise need to order online. An Eaton 15A everyone seems to carry is a bit pricey :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't do much resi work so I'm not up on resi breaker prices. All I was going on is it must have been cheaper 10 yrs ago when I did my pool, I doubt I would pay more,can't remember.

Anyway like someone said about replacing a pump. He should have everything he needs unless it was 110v and not hard wired. Who knows.....I'm a last work freak, so my wife says!

The old pump was 120V that's why I needed to change the breaker. Went with the 15A double pole GFCI from Amazon, it was slightly cheaper than the 20A and as stated earlier what was specified by the manual. I was able to use most of my old wiring. Thanks for the help.

15A if the pump is the only item on the circuit. If other items then you need to calculate breaker size.

From the manual:

4.6: Connect pump to a 15 amp branch circuit in accordance with local codes, regulations, and the National Electric Code (NEC).

4.9: If other lights or appliances are also on the same circuit, be sure to add their amp loads before calculating wire and circuit breaker sizes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.